Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phraates III or IV?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline saholz

• Consul
Phraates III or IV?
« on: November 12, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »
This AR tet was sold to me as a Phraates III with an archer seated right as the reverse.  I'm not so sure about this.  I have little experience with Parthian coins, but this description doesn't seem right.  The reverse looks like the King seated right with Tyche (?) standing left.  From what I could find, this is correct for Phraates IV, not III.  Can anyone help me with the correct ID for this coin?

The coin is 27.8 mm and weighs 12.8 grams.  Thanks for any help.

Stan

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Phraates III or IV?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:29:58 pm »
This is Phraates IV.  It is listed as Sellwood type 51. The date is not visible on this coin.  The reverse shows Tyche giving a palm branch to the seated king.  She is holding a cornucopia.

Phraates III has just a seated archer and a different legend.  Also there is a Tetradrachm with him wearing a tiara with horn and stags around the crest.  It shows Tyche standing behind the enthroned king.

Offline saholz

• Consul
Re: Phraates III or IV?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:57:39 pm »
Thank you Howard.  That confirms what I suspected.  This is the third time in two weeks I've gotten coins that were either improperly attributed or totally misidentified.  This one came from a reputable and respected dealer too.  Thanks again.

Stan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity