Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian Tetradrachm - Mint and Type - Help ID  (Read 805 times)

Offline Alex S2

• Praetorian
Gordian Tetradrachm - Mint and Type - Help ID
« on: September 13, 2021, 10:18:03 am »
Dear Forvm Community,

Please help with identification of this tetradrachm, which type is it?

The closest I could find are these:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/68005
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/68038

The portrait seems to be very similar to the first one, but the eagle is not.

Anyway I was assuming that this coin is from Antioch. Maybe it's some other mint?

Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Many thanks,
Alex

Offline Alex S2

• Praetorian
Re: Gordian Tetradrachm - Mint and Type - Help ID
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:18:30 pm »
Is there a chance that this could be an unpublished type?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:32:52 pm »
You are correct: this is from Antioch.

I think it is Prieur #282, which is the most common of the Gordian III tetradrachms listed.

The obverse legends are the same on all of Gordian's tetradrachms, however the reverses are different.
Prieur describes the obverse as Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust, right; seen from behind.

The reverse legend on your coin is ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC with SC in exergue. On your coin just the tops of these letters are visible.
Prieur describes the reverse as Eagle facing, head and tail left.

Below is a photo of my Prieur #282 where the reverse legend is complete.

I'm curious what you see on this coin that makes you think it might be an unpublished type?

(I get a 504 Gateway Time-out Error message when I try posting this reply with an attachment. That will have to wait until the software problem gets fixed.)

Offline Alex S2

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 07:16:09 am »
I guess, you are correct, Callimachus

The reason why I thought it to be something else is because of not paying enough attention.

When I was browsing Gordian types on WildWinds and especially RPC online, I disregarded the 282 type as a different one without giving it a second thought, just because the style of the eagle of the one i have seemed to be very different from the default picture in the catalogs.

But now as I opened the page of this type at RPC (https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/68016) I can see this type has a lot of diversity of eagle designs.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:59:11 am »

(I get a 504 Gateway Time-out Error message when I try posting this reply with an attachment. That will have to wait until the software problem gets fixed.)

In another thread, Sorin says the 504 Gateway Time-out Error is fixed. So I will post my picture here.

Offline Alex S2

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 12:30:05 pm »
You've got a very beautiful coin, Callimachus +++

:)

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 09:37:08 pm »
Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity