Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is authentic this solidus?  (Read 738 times)

Offline Manuel David M

• Praetorian
Is authentic this solidus?
« on: July 31, 2021, 08:26:25 am »
Hi from Spain!

I could try to buy this coin.

I donĀ“t have a lot of money, and I need to be bery sure before paying that much money.

Do you think is it a genuine solidus?

I have read that are made copies of gold coins very difficutlt to detect...

plese, help me!!!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Is authentic this solidus?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 09:25:58 am »
If you are considering purchasing this coin please know that it is usually not possible to authenticate an ancient coin from a photograph. If you are not confident that either the coin is genuine, or the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee, do not buy. In short, either know the coin or know the seller.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 10:07:33 am »
Hi. It's a coin worthing easily over 1000 euros. Do your homework; check the Fake Coins Report, analyse genuine examples (in this case the weight is OK but Honorius has so many different obverse style...), ask the seller where the coin comes from- if it's from his grandfather's collection, from an old collection, if he dig it himself...run away ! And by the way, I've never seen a trusted or serious seller posting pictures of coins between fingers...If you have only one doubt...RUN AWAY !
DT

Offline Manuel David M

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 01:42:43 pm »
Pictures of mine.

The seller lend me the coin to I could study it

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Manuel David M

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 05:10:51 am »

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:16 am »
One of the main rules here: you cannot use this site to screen coins you are thinking about buying from other sources. As the others have said, Know your coins or know your source. I advocate the former.
Sorry, you're out of luck.
  Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity