Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: VIRTVS AVG catch of the day  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
VIRTVS AVG catch of the day
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:24:44 pm »
This little beauty just arrived today.  Technically I purchased it about a month ago, but I don't like posting COTDs until I can take decent photos. 

I'm pretty pleased with this denarius, great intact hoard toning and the provenance goes back far enough to have a typewritten manila envelope with both UK and dollars prices written on it in old, worn pencil.  I can trace it back through the last 3 owners.

Only one of these in the RD hoard, so it's a pretty scarce denarius.  It kind of reminds me of later Fel Temp Reparatio fallen horsemen coins.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=170950
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
Re: VIRTVS AVG catch of the day
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 09:22:56 am »
Cool!  +++ That's always great to follow the history of collectors...

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 02:01:50 pm »
Is that BD on the reverse?
And, hence, fourree?
PeteB

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 04:59:32 pm »
Is that BD on the reverse?
And, hence, fourree?
PeteB

The coin is in "as found" condition with hoard toning.  The surface marks are from being in the ground next to copper coins.  Also, at this point in Septimius' reign, the denarius content was almost 50% copper, so surface copper corrosion from being near copper-containing coins tends to stain the surface. 

On this coins, it's an encrustation and not flakey at all.  It's just on the surface of the coin.  I have similar stains on many low-purity denarii from the period :) The weight and diameter are also bang-on for a mid-grade silver denarius. It's not a fouree.

Here is an interesting chart to look at.  The purple dots are severan era coins.  in the first couple years of Septimius' reign, the purity is pretty high.  By the end of the dynasty, not so much. 

Scholars often talk about this debasement being a reaction to massive pay increases for the army under Septimius.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity