Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anaximander's Gallery  (Read 20419 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2019, 09:22:12 am »
That's brilliant, Carausius.  It's very efficient and effective...  One shot tells a lot, and you can group titles as you like.  I'm going to have to do something like that.  I'm getting started packing things up, at the moment, for my next move. Photos will have to wait for when I can re-establish my home office.  We will see how many bookcases I can appropriate!  

LibraryThing is a tool, all right.  I've loaded my library onto the site (under the name Anaximandros), one title and one cover at a time. That's a lot of work! I'm not up to adding in the catalogs (a whole new can of worms).

Borrowing both concepts in one...  here a composite photo of book covers from LibraryThing.  First time I've tried this; not as well organized as I would choose, but it works.

Anaximander

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2019, 01:52:04 pm »
Very nice! 

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
My latest addition is a Baktrian didrachm, a local issue prior to the autonomous Baktrian kingdom.  A Hellenistic coin, but so like the archaicized Athenian owl coinage of the 5th C. classical period.  It fits in nicely alongside my 4th C. BC hemidrachm of the same type.   

Anaximander

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2020, 12:47:38 am »
Great piece    +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Mark R1

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 03:52:16 pm »
Syracuse accounts for nearly half my collection of coins of Sicily, but is the last city I have to upload to my Sicily gallery. And now that I've posted my three tetradrachms from 5th C. Syracuse (Συράκουσαι), it's time for the piece de resistance:  the Syracusan dekadrachm, such as it is.  The obverse for the Gallatin Series F issue were all plagued by die rust. So there you have it warts and all. It's only the second dekadrachm in the Forum's member galleries, as best I can tell, other than the reproductions, and the only one from Syracuse.

Anaximander  

Sicily, Syracuse, Second Democracy & Dionysios I. 400-390 BC. AR Dekadrachm (42.64 gm). Fast quadriga driven l., crowned by Nike flying r. above; ex: panoply of armor, spear behind. / Head of Arethusa l., hair wreathed; four dolphins around, scallop shell behind. [ΣꓦΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ]. Unsigned die in the style of Euainetos.  nVF/gVF.  SNG ANS 5 #370 (same dies); Dewing 907-908 (same dies); Gallatin series F: O.VIII-R.F.I #1-2 (same dies); HGC 2 #1299. cf Triton VII #91.

The portrait is gorgeous.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Anaximander's Gallery-Table of Contents for SRCV & RSC
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 11:28:32 am »
Here are links to my two latest Tables of Contents ("TOCs"), posted in my galleries:
Sear's Roman Coins & their Values (SRCV) TOC.  Sample screenshot below.
Seaby et al. Roman Silver Coins (RSC) TOC.

I aim to make those references a tad easier to use.  As too often happens, numismatic publications lack a table of contents, sometimes providing an index, but sometimes not.  Both TOCs are PDFs of a document where I've listed issuing authority or types, as provided by the author, and their page numbers.  I've also provided a link from the Numiswiki pages for SRCV and RSC.   

All feedback welcomed, especially errata.

Anaximander

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Romans! Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2020, 06:44:01 pm »
I've been remiss.  It has been several months since I last uploaded coins to my gallery.  Long in planning, and slow in its implementation, I've nonetheless begun to fulfill one of my 2020 numismatic goals:  upload my Roman coin collection.  

I've decided on the gallery organization, a crucial step.  In the process of revisiting the cataloging and photographing of the coins themselves, I have ventured to make a couple upgrades: adding reference books (Crawford, Sydenham, Sear Imperators...) and redoing my lighting (Lume Cubes replace the LED panels).  Along the way I wrote a database to replace my ever-growing spreadsheets, both for coins and references.  I seem to be buying more books than coins these days.  ::)  Enough with the excuses.  

My first installment:  
Roman Republic
and Roman Imperators.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
Nice group!

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2020, 02:43:11 am »
Nice virtual trays 👍😉

Joe
My Gallery

Online Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2020, 10:48:22 am »
Great coins and I love the virtual trays. What a neat idea. Oh, and by the way, if you're going to have an excuse, then buying books is a good one!

All the best,

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Julio-Claudians in Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2020, 04:57:32 pm »
Thanks all for the kind comments.  The virtual tray is something I stumbled over among the discussions here in FAC.  Takes some doing, but it's a labor of love.

Here's the greatest hits of my Julio-Claudians...

Augustus    Tiberius    Drusus
     Caligula   Germanicus  Claudius
            Nero    Antonia Minor

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2020, 07:47:50 pm »
Some great additions!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2020, 08:50:02 pm »
Nice coins, nice creative presentation.   The Agrippa and Antonia are particularly hard to find in that condition.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2020, 01:00:33 am »
Anaximander your entire collection is outstanding,  one of the finest here. I thoroughly enjoy browsing through your gallery and look forward  (quite enviously i might add) to all your additions, especially the Greeks!

Appreciatively,
~ Peter

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2020, 02:09:22 am »
Dear, Chris,

Great coins with the great conditions
and a nice virtual tray ... :) ;)

Congratulation   +++

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2020, 09:27:19 am »
Many thanks, Peter, PMah, Jay, Joe/Q.  Of course, these trays are the best of my best...
Whoever invented the virtual tray deserves a royalty.  I say King or Queen for a day!  

On to the fourth epoch:   The Civil Wars and Flavian Dynasty, 68-96 AD.

Galba    Otho    Vitellius
   Vespasian    Titus    Julia Titi
  Domitian    Domitia

I'm on a roll, cataloging some long-standing Roman coins in my collection.  The revised editions of RIC II.1 (Flavians) and RIC II.3 (Hadrian) make for some welcome edits to my numismatic references.  

The novelty factor:  I'm now starting to make and keep thumbnail photos of both the coins and their tags.  It's much easier to keep it all organized with my new coin database, where I have tabs for photos, thumbnails, tags, and other attachments.

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2020, 06:27:50 pm »
I love browsing through your gallery, you have some superb pieces! I also love the virtual tray concept. Is there more information I can find somewhere on how to replicate it?

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2020, 06:29:30 am »
David: Yes, there is a place in the Forum Discussions where you can learn more about virtual trays.  
Discussion Board:  Numismatic and History Discussions    Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage    
Topic: How do you make a virtual coin tray? https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=90017.0

I'm following in a line of those who have taken the plunge.  I spent a lot of time figuring out the background (period maps, in public domain, consistently 'antiqued,' and sized appropriately), and that was before attempting to insert coin photos.  On that, my secret is to 'select' a rectangle of appropriate size in the background, go copy the coin (foreground only), and go back to the background and "Paste into selection").

I'm getting a bit better with the trays, honing the coin thumbnail sizing, coin selections, and legends.

I have now uploaded my collection of Roman Adoptive Emperors and Antonine Dynasty, 96-192 AD. ... with a virtual tray to match.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Anaximander's Virtual Tray of 'The Civil Wars & Severan Dynasty, 193-235'
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2020, 02:20:33 pm »
I am continuing to upload Roman coins to my gallery, sequentially, and the latest installment takes me to the civil wars that followed the death of Emperor Commodus and into the Severan Dynasty.  Here is a virtual tray of the emperors of that period.  There's a few Julias in the galleries, too, or coming soon.  
The Civil Wars & Severan Dynasty, 193-235

Anaximander

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 04:41:02 pm »
Nice trays... +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
238 AD: The Year of the Six Emperors
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2020, 06:18:33 pm »
My gallery of Roman Empire coins of the period of military anarchy (here), beginning in 238 AD, starts off with a bang, the year of the six emperors: Maximinus Thrax, Gordian I, Gordian II, Pupienus, Balbinus, and (the only one to survive to the end of the year) Gordian III.  I guess this passes for a Roman version of 2020!

My virtual tray is below.  Nemonator has a great virtual tray and Sosius has a gallery just for this year, along with several virtual trays.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2020, 06:56:32 pm »
Hmm, another great tray.... +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2020, 03:41:12 pm »
Thanks, Joe  :)

My Roman collection uploads continue.  Here's a small set, just the handful of 3rd century usurpers, some rather successful, which I'm placing in their own galleryThe Gallic Empire..  Nothing spectacular here, and not a complete series.  You'll find emperors and pretenders alike: Postumous, Aureolus, Marius, Victorinus, Tetricus I, Tetricus II.  No shows are Laelian and Domitian (the other Domitian). 

Here is yet another Virtual Tray...

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2020, 04:41:19 pm »
Great  ;) :) +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:19 pm »
Your gallery is simply astounding!