Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Procedural question?  (Read 352 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Procedural question?
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:45:48 am »
Is it permissible to ask about a coin currently being auctioned?  I am interested in a particular coin listed in an on-line auction but I have some doubts about it.  It's not ebay and it is a reputable auction house.  I would like to get this community's opinion on the coin's authenticity.

Charles

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Procedural question?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:24:17 pm »
No, it is not permitted. Know the coin or know the seller is reputable, or do not buy. We discourage anyone basing decisions based on opinions from the internet.   

Since you are a FORVM customer, however, you are welcome to send me a link by email and then call me to discuss it. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:13:22 pm »
Thanks Joe!  Will do.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 06:48:20 pm »
Maybe I understood the question differently.  I thought it is fine to post any photo about any coin (whether or not currently offered for sale or auction) as long as one does not identify the seller or auction house.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:07:10 pm »
It is fine to post a coin the is currently for sale BUT only if you suspect the coin is fake. In other words, it should NOT be a coin you are considering buying. It should be a coin you suspect will be condemned. Here we only discuss suspected fakes and we should seldom attempt to authenticate from photos. Buyers should not depend on opinions from the internet when buying. They should either know the coin is good or rely on the expertise and reputation of the seller.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity