Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Football WM 2014  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Football WM 2014
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »

Taras

Re: Football WM 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:59:43 pm »
 +++
Congratulations to all you Germans!
A great team, you really deserve that cup.

Bye :)
Nico

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »
Congratulations to Germany.
I am a big fan of Germany and Italy.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:43 pm »
I´m a world champion.
So treat me with some respect now!

;)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:25:30 pm »
That was a great goal and a great finish to the World Cup. Congrats to our German members!

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:29 am »
I remember when I was little, I would cheer for Chinese side until they lose in the Asian qualifiers and then cheer for the West German side.

I am happy that after 24 years, the German side lifted the cup again today.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:11:27 am »
Congrats to Germany and great respect to you Arminius.
The cutest thing I've heard about that was this morning on the french radio : german people yesterday in Berlin, seeing the journalist came to them and said (in french) : "Vive l'Allemagne ! Nous sommes les champignons du monde !"

Explanation : while champion is champion (Weltmeister), champignon is mushroom (Pilz)
That made my day !

Best (and congrats again for a well deserved title)
JC

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:33:45 am »
 ;D

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »
hahaha

Offline snapapuss

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:16:49 pm »
My SPCA Special Dog is half German Shepherd so was ecstatic
His other half is Argentinian Husky so he couldn't lose

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:01 am »
The precipitous decline in my number of postings to Forum over the last 6 weeks has been almost entirely due to the world cup. I'm a pretty average viewer, watching maybe 50% of the games in the opening sections, and virtually all the games thereafter, but in practice that amounted to football every day, consuming practically all discretionary time. Coin collecting got forgotten. I was very happy with the final results for all sorts of reasons.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:46:43 am »
Hi folks,

These types of events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.) tend to leave host countries billions of dollars in debt. They even built a stadium in the middle of a jungle for this event. Wasteful? People who analyze the financial aspects of these events don't know how much longer they can continue. We may be witnessing the end of these types of events, including the Olympics.

I didn't watch any of the World Cup events, not even for one second. I had zero interest in it. Part of it has to do with me being an American, and we Americans tend to have very little interest in soccer (or "football", as they call it in Europe).

Generally speaking, I am not a sports guy. I don't even like baseball, and that is huge here in the USA. The last time I watched a baseball game was in circa 1978.

The only sports that I will spend my valuable time watching are American (NFL) football and auto racing (NASCAR, Formula One, Indy, etc.). And a lot of that has to do with me being a "car guy", just like my father and grandfather before me.

Edit: I just realized that I hit post #666 (my favorite number). You may now refer to me as "Satan". :evil:

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on July 15, 2014, 02:46:43 am

Edit: I just realized that I hit post #666 (my favorite number). You may now refer to me as "Satan". :evil:

Meepzorp

Lol...

I don't think such events will stop, but maybe building $11 billion dollar sporting complexes will. 

Good to have you back, Andrew.

Taras

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:40:49 pm »
Hi folks,

These types of events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.) tend to leave host countries billions of dollars in debt. They even built a stadium in the middle of a jungle for this event. Wasteful? People who analyze the financial aspects of these events don't know how much longer they can continue. We may be witnessing the end of these types of events, including the Olympics.

I don't know in other countries, but from personal experience I can state that Winter Olympics in Turin was a fabulous opportunity of rebirth for the city. The event has channeled billions of Euros to the city. Even today, eight years later, you can still feel the effects with the increase in welfare and infrastructures that have remained available for citizens.

Nico

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:35 pm »
Hi folks,

I don't know in other countries, but from personal experience I can state that Winter Olympics in Turin was a fabulous opportunity of rebirth for the city. The event has channeled billions of Euros to the city. Even today, eight years later, you can still feel the effects with the increase in welfare and infrastructures that have remained available for citizens.

Nico

I immersed myself in the London Olympics experience and it was fabulous. From about four weeks in advance the city filled up with athletes in an incredibly friendly atmosphere. You'd see them walking around everywhere with their big accreditation badges and I spoke to many. It was a lot of fun. The party continued for weeks afterwards for the paralympics. During the olympics everone was friendlier and transport worked as never before. The city had a smile on its face. Since then the Olympic park has become an actual park, the main stadium is now the West Ham United grounds, the swimming pools are one of the most popular in London, open for all at £3.50, the athletes village are now apartments and all the physical transport links remain. I paid for the London Olympics with my taxes and it was worth every penny.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:26:24 am »
Hi folks,

Nico

I immersed myself in the London Olympics experience and it was fabulous. From about four weeks in advance the city filled up with athletes in an incredibly friendly atmosphere. You'd see them walking around everywhere with their big accreditation badges and I spoke to many. It was a lot of fun. The party continued for weeks afterwards for the paralympics. During the olympics everone was friendlier and transport worked as never before. The city had a smile on its face. Since then the Olympic park has become an actual park, the main stadium is now the West Ham United grounds, the swimming pools are one of the most popular in London, open for all at £3.50, the athletes village are now apartments and all the physical transport links remain. I paid for the London Olympics with my taxes and it was worth every penny.

Hi Andrew,

I guess it depends on the situation. Each city must be considered on an individual basis, in terms of long-term costs and consequences.

The 2014 World Cup in South America is going to have bad long-term financial consequences for the host country. I've been reading newspaper stories about it. The people there are furious. They feel that it was wasteful spending. The money could have been spent better elsewhere (infrastructure projects, combating poverty, etc.).

The recent Olympics in Russia was such a disaster that it was laughable. And it made Russia a laughing stock of the entire world. It also may have contributed to Putin feeling the way that he did, driving him to commit questionable actions. He said that he "felt humiliated", right? I actually went to high school with one of the skiers who participated in it. He was in my graduating high school class of 1985. He was in many of my classes back then. I knew him quite well. He and his wife (who was born in Italy) both ATTEMPTED to ski there. Notice that I put the word "attempted" in bold letters. But they didn't ski for the USA. They both skied for the same small island country in the Caribbean or Bahamas or similar (I don't remember the exact country offhand). Because he went to my high school, my local newspaper chronicled their story. There were updates every day. The conditions there were so deplorable and horrendous that neither one of them could ski in the real competition. On a practice run, because the trail conditions were so terrible, his wife fell and crashed horribly. Her face got smashed. She broke her nose and sustained other facial injuries. She never skied in the real competition. The water there was so bad (tainted?) that my high school acquaintance developed a severe gastro-intestinal disease. He suffered from cramps, vomiting, and such severe diarrhea that he couldn't participate in the real competition either. The 2 of them went there for nothing. Neither one of them got a chance to participate in the Olympics. All they got out of it was injuries and a GI disease.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:06:37 am »
Hi folks,

Nico

Hi Taras,

Yes, that may be true. Turin is located in Piemonte. Traditionally, it was always Italy's industrial heart (the "Detroit of Italy"). Fiat's headquarters and assembly plants were located there for decades. Just like Detroit and the rest of the USA's "rust belt", Turin fell on hard economic times. I'm sure that it needed a "shot in the arm".

But these things can sometimes backfire. For example, look at the G8 summit in Genoa, Italy in the Summer of 2001. Genoa had fallen on hard economic times too. It was very dependent on the shipping and cruise industries. The hijacking of the Achille Lauro cruise ship (whose home port was Genoa) in the 1980s dealt a severe economic blow to the city of Genoa. It needed an economic "shot in the arm", so it was chosen to host the G8 summit in 2001.

As you probably know, my paternal grandparents came from the Genoa area. To this day, my cousin Maria still lives in downtown Genoa, and we communicate regularly. Right now, her biggest concern is that Italy must get off the euro currency just to survive, and many Italians agree with her. But, back then, in the Summer of 2001, she gave me an earful. Berlusconi advised the people of Genoa to not hang out their laundry (both literally and figuratively). She also described "Berlusconi's fascist police dressed in black". These are people who had no law enforcement background and no training at all. Berlusconi basically deputized them, and they dressed in black. And they roamed the streets of Genoa beating up numerous people (including priests) for absolutely no reason - just because they "felt like it". Numerous people got beat up, for no apparent reason. It was a disaster. She was so scared that she didn't leave her apartment for several days. As you probably know, people converged on Genoa from all over the world, led by protesters from Seattle. Well, you know what happened next. By the time the summit was over, the city was in flames. And the protesters had caused billions upon billions of dollars in damage to the city of Genoa. Not only did Genoa NOT get the economic "shot in the arm" that it needed, but the protesters almost destroyed the city.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:08 am »
Wow, Meepzorp..,what a party pooper! ;D

After Italy was eliminated I was cheering for Argentina since half the team is of Italian decent, but in reality I wanted anyone but Brazil!

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 09:51:50 am »
I think "value for money" is all to do with the country that hosts such events, what economic level they are already at.

Last week (7th July) the "Tour De France" cycled past my Flat en route to the Olympic Park.

Folks started lining the street, getting chairs and snacks and behaving very well, minimum policing needed.

The 2012 Olympics obviously got Londoners (if not all Britons) into the mind set of appreciating and enjoying these events.

Would they have behaved the same way without the 2012 Olympics, I doubt it.

Next Wednesday (23rd July) is the opening ceremony for the "Commonwealth Games".

However the latest news from Glasgow is the "athletes' village has been hit by an outbreak of diarrhea"

Couldn't make it up.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:05 am »
The general deal with these events is that some infrastructure gets built which provides long term benefits, though not all the infrastructure will be suitable for re-use, transport is improved, there's a direct economic boost prior to the event due construction, there's a big party around the event itself, a run-down area is regenerated, there's a feel-good sense and optimism going forward. Sure, costs are inevitably higher than one would wish, but if I do a home make-over in advance of a big family party I don't expect it to come for free. The football was terrific in Brazil, the logistics seem to have been impeccable (I heard of no issues at least: the stadia were full and all the matches started on time in the designated venues) and everyone seemed to have a good time. This is what it's about. If one thinks too rationally about such things the Colosseum or Circus Maximus would never have got built and I'd never get to own various nice Roman denarii with athletic or gladiatorial scenes. This is what humans do. We are party animals. Be happy. Have fun. Well done Germany. Thank you Brazil.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »

Arminius, both you and Jochen will always have my utmost respect regardless, and of course congratulations to a fine German team! Being a yank, I certainly would have wanted the US to be in the finals and to win, but C'est la vie, or should I say: So ist das Leben!  I only managed to watch a few parts of the games. My favorite pub - Two Fools - is just about impossible to get into during world cup and unfortunately work gets in the way of everything - but I did follow the results via The Wall Street Journal updates on my phone!!

c.rhodes
PS In two weeks pre-season for US Football (where the foot is almost never used - odd don't you think!!) begins and my two teams - San Fransisco and Seattle are poised for great years - too bad they are in the same conference - but hey Go 49'rs!!!!

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:49 pm »
Go Bengals

Adrian
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:49 pm »
I think it was particulary for the American soccer a very fine advertising. Never ever more Americans have seen the games of their team I think.

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity