Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie ask for help on "difficult?)" coin  (Read 564 times)

Offline Roger F2

• Legionary
Newbie ask for help on "difficult?)" coin
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:34 pm »
Hi guys!

Im new to collecting coins, and im absolutely loving it! I need some help with a coin though since i cant determine which kind it is.

The coin is 17mm and weighs exactly 2 grams

Is it a dinari? Ae3? As?

Or something else; )?

With regards Roger

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: Newbie ask for help on "difficult?)" coin
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:30 pm »
Septimius Severus "limes" dinar... basically official or borderline official denarius  made from base metal...

Offline Roger F2

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »
Thank you!

Is it a rare or common coin?

Im guessing its worth less than a official denarius;)?

With regards

Roger

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »
I am not too sure about 'limes denarius' as all silver coins come from the ground in a dark hue. This could well be blackish silver oxide on an official coin. This type is not particularly rare and when you want to buy it, you should pay the cost of a meal. :angel:

Frans

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
I am not too sure about 'limes denarius' as all silver coins come from the ground in a dark hue. This could well be blackish silver oxide on an official coin. This type is not particularly rare and when you want to buy it, you should pay the cost of a meal. :angel:

Frans

The reason I said limes is because of that reddish area behind the horse on the reverse suggesting of base metal...

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:50:18 pm »
I'm always interested in buying these "Limes" coins. Some people call them downright
imitations but I am of the opinion that they were struck by mints along the Limes, = the
border of the Danube by military camps who, for obvious security reasons didn't keep
much silver on the premises (because of the regular attacks by hooligans from the
other side of the border).
Mind you, "price of a meal"? As long as you aren't expecting the price of a 5-course at Tiffany's
I might still be interested (more like a BurgerKing).

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:49:46 pm »
Here is a theme I have often repeated, but to universal disregard:  By the early third century, Roman denarii were fairly debased and often, especially when not in a hoard secreted in a nice protective pot, they corrode badly, not unlike this coin.  I suspect that many so-called Limes denarii are just normal denarii in corroded condition.  The term Limes denarii was originally applied, as best I remember, to base cast copies.

Offline Roger F2

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 03:51:43 am »
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the help. So im guessing that this is a limes then. Interesting stories about their function. The low value..like a mcdonalds meal..hehe..means ill be saving it. No point in selling. Besides...i kind a like the history about it;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity