Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FEL TEMP REPARATIO Fallen Horseman 14-15mm  (Read 703 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
FEL TEMP REPARATIO Fallen Horseman 14-15mm
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »
Hi Guys,

I continue to sort out my never ending backlog of cleaned coins waiting for some love, and as I love the oh so glum looking portrait and the spooky violent reverse on this undersized little thing... , so I am wondering if anyone recognises the style and can give me at least a hint of where and when it was made...

Thanks as always...

Lee S.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: FEL TEMP REPARATIO Fallen Horseman 14-15mm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:22 pm »
Hi Guys...

I am shamelessly bumping this coin, as it delights me tremendously... I would appreciate ANY thoughts... I'm guessing Constantine dynasty.. I'm also guessing official, because of the detail on the Roman soldier on the Rev. ( It's even better in hand... you can see the fire in his eyes!! ) , but the portrait looks like a mickey-take.... Mr Sad!!!

Any and all opinions will be much appreciated...

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
I read ...ONSTA... on the obverse. The portrait has a strong Constantius II vibe. I agree it's official looking.

I don't think you'll get much further. If you are bored enough, you could wade through hundreds of Constantius II fel temps until you find an obverse die match. Then you'll have the mint. But it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:49:07 am »
These smaller examples of the Falling Horseman are only found for Constantius II and his two caesars Constantius Gallus and Julian. 

The two caesars are always shown bare-headed, thus any diadem will be Constantius II, as augustus.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:39 pm »
Thank you Christopher and Shawn!!

I will be keeping my eyes open for a die match for the obverse.. It is rather "distinctive" ( read "very funny" to my sense of humor! ) , and perhaps this could be a good candidate to have professionally mounted into some jewelry or I might think of something else to do with it... Little cash value, but I love it... Perhaps it will just sit in a flip in my wallet to pull out and bore people with at parties.... :evil:

Lee.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:24:30 pm »
Instead of thinking as the portrait as glum or sad, think of it as submissive to a greater power! This was the time of the conversion from a pantheon of anthropomorphic gods to a singular omnipotent abstract deity.

It could be a completely personal interpretation, but I see it as more of a pious, eyes-towards-god portrait than a sad and depressed portrait!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »
Quote from: Christopher H2 on March 11, 2014, 04:24:30 pm
Instead of thinking as the portrait as glum or sad, think of it as submissive to a greater power! This was the time of the conversion from a pantheon of anthropomorphic gods to a singular omnipotent abstract deity.

It could be a completely personal interpretation, but I see it as more of a pious, eyes-towards-god portrait than a sad and depressed portrait!

That makes it all the funnier to me!!

But I also love the reverse, the wear gives to my over active imagination the picture a sense of depth and conjures up images of a foggy battlefield with the Centurion in the foreground and the poor fallen dude almost lost in the battlefield mist as he meets his end...

I have much better and "nicer" coins, but this one tickles me somehow!

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »
I think we have a lot in common with regards to what we find interesting in a coin, Lee.

Some collectors prefer pristine coins. Some collectors claim to prefer "worn and beat up coins" because they have history. I like both kinds, though I do not like them all. I prefer coins that stand out to me and make my mind wander. Coins that conjure up images and scenery in my head. Coins that make me wonder. This can be for any number of reasons.

There is definitely no one right way to collect - there are many right ways. And I like my way!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:43:32 pm »
Nicomedia maybe,mainly because of the dotted sword on the belt. Just a guess though.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity