Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ariadne.  (Read 886 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Ariadne.
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:27:34 am »
Coins of this Empress are extremely rare and to me unknown in silver (my collecting stops at Eugenius). Could be a cast fake of a fake tremissis ?
Seller has other off looking coins. Any opinions ?

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariadne.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:05:34 am »
Greetings from Bulgaria, I would say. But it seems rather struck, not cast, to me. Or can they cast such jagged edges in the meantime? :o

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:10:21 am »
Hi,

the coin has very sharp edge cracks, it is thus not likely to be cast. It is more likely struck with cast transfer dies.

It looks like silver or white metal, but it cannot be a silver issue because of the signature CONO(B) on the reverse. A siliqua would be signed CONS*. And actually it looks like just CONO as if the maker did not know what to do.

The style of the bust, specifically the drapery looks like that of Aelia Eudocia and also the wreath is not in the style of Ariadne but more towards Eudocia.

Thus it does not only look fake, it is fake and it is an impossible type. (I guess one can exclude the possibility that it is a pattern in silver made for a type of tremissis which never has been found so far.)

byzcoll

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:45:27 pm »
the coin has very sharp edge cracks, it is thus not likely to be cast. It is more likely struck with cast transfer dies.

Why transfer dies?  Why not just hand engraved dies?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:57:25 pm »
I agree with Joe. In the case of transfer dies, the style would have to be correct, which IMHO it isn't.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:08:33 pm »

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »
Hi,

in this case I have been thinking of cast transfer dies as amethod to create a fake of a fake. The surfaces of the fake are so soft in contrast to the sharp edges that I think someone made a transfer die from a fake gold coin to strike copies in silver.

byzcoll

All coins are guaranteed for eternity