Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusaders of Cyprus?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Crusaders of Cyprus?
« on: November 27, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »
Hello,

maybe someone can identify this one:

18-20 mm / 2,62 g, copper

Someone told me these crosses are typical for medieval coins of Cyprus.

Thanks and regards

Manzikert

Re: Crusaders of Cyprus?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:34:42 am »
Hi

Not a Crusader coin I'm afraid.

The 'cross crosslet' is of course the arms of the kingdom of Jerusalem, but this is probably a coin of the kingdom of Sicily under the Hapsburg rulers of Spain (1516-1700). The kings of Sicily were titular kings of Jerusalem as well. The reverse on this piece is the collar of the order of the Golden Fleece, a Burgundian and Hapsburg order which wasn't founded until 1430.

Unfortunately I can't tell you any more as I have no catalogue which covers this period.

Best wishes

Alan

chassid-80

Re: Crusaders of Cyprus?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:10 am »
Very good the Alan's forerunner!

It's a "3 cavalli" of Filippo III d'Asburgo di Spagna (1598 - 1621), mint of Napoli.

Beauty condition for the type!

Regards, Anto.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity