Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantium Gordian III(?) large AE  (Read 583 times)

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Byzantium Gordian III(?) large AE
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:29:17 pm »
Just wondering if anyone could confirm the emperor and give a reading of the inscriptions of this coin.  It's an AE-34 (20.0 g) from Byzantium, similar to #434 in the Mabbott sale: "Gordian III, 238-244.  Large bronze.  Bust r. / Four basket torches (alluding to Dianic witchcraft cult).  Mionnet 123."  The word BYZA(NT)ION at the bottom of the reverse is quite clear, but I've been unable to read the rest of the inscriptions through all the corrosion.  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Mionnet.  Thanks for any help.

- Jim Roberts

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Byzantium Gordian III(?) large AE
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:38:55 pm »
What I can see
O Β Κ Π AΛ
fits the legend Münsterberg implies for the only magistrate under Gordian III at Byzantium
http://snible.org/coins/library/muensterberg/thracia.html
EΠ Μ ΑVΡ ΔΙΟΝΥΣIΟΥ ΤO Β Κ Π AΛΕΞAΝΔΡΑΣ

Steve

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:15:57 pm »
Yes, that's clearly the right one!  I've been puzzling over that coin for many years.  Thanks a lot!

Jim

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19:02 pm »
Yes, those are the only magistrates on coins of Byzantium under Gord. III: a man and a woman, M. Aurelios Dionysos and P. Alexandra, as usual at Byzantium from Sept. Sev. on.

Your coin seems to be Schönert-Geiss, Byzantion, 1798 (V 237-R445).  Gordian's left fist is visible in front of his bust.  We don't know what those "basket torches" are; I doubt very much that they allude "to a Dianic witchcraft cult"!
Curtis Clay

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:40 pm »
Thanks a lot for the additional information and the full attribution.  I'm surprised they had women as magistrates back then.  Something I wouldn't have suspected.

- Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity