Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantinian decree - Latin experts needed!  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantinian decree - Latin experts needed!
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:08:51 pm »
The picture below is a bronze decree, about 3 ft x 2 ft in size, that was just posted by Georgi on ancients.info. This decree is owned by a private collector in Bulgaria who loaned it to a local museum for display. This is a joint decree issued by Constantine and Licinius about army and veteren benefits, etc, issued from Serdica in June 311. I'd like to know what it says, if anyone could help translate it! I have a larger scan of the decree that I could forward to anyone interested, but I've also attempted to transcribe the text of the first half of it (20 of 40 lines total).

My attempted transcription (I'm sure I've made some mistakes) of the first half is:

1 CVMINOMNIBVSPRODEVOTIONEACL^BORIBVSsVISMILITVMNOS
 2 TRORVMCOMMODIS^DQVEVTILITATIBVSSEMPERCONSVLTVMESSE
 3 CVPIAMVSINHOCETIAMDISPOTIONVMNOSTRARVMPROVISIO
 4 NEISDEMMILITIBVSNOSTRISCONSVLENDVMESSECREDIDIMVS
 5 TERTICARISSIMEVNDEINTVENTESLABORESRORVNDEMMILITVM
 6 NOSTRORVMQVOSPROREIPVBLICAESTATVETCOMMODISADSIDVIS
 7 DISCVRSIBVSSVSTINENTPROVIDENVMACDISPONENDVMESSF?REDIDI
 8 MVSVIETMILITIAESVAETEMPORETVCVNDISLABORVMSVORVMFRVCTI
 9 BVSFXNOSTRAPROVISIONESEPERERVIGAVDFANTE?POSTMILITIAEOVI
10 ETQOTIDETCONGRVASECVRITATEPOTIANTVRITAQVEDEVOTIONITVAE
11 SIGNIFICANDVMESSECREDIDIMVSVTIDEMMILITESNOSTRI
12 MILITIAEQVIDEMSVAETEMPOREQVINQVECAPITAIVXTASTAIVNM
13 NOSTRVMEXCENSVADQVEAPRESTATIONIBVSSSOLLEMNIBVSAN
14 NONARIAEPENSTIATIONISEXVSENTEADEMQVEIMMVNIAHA
15 BEANTADOVECVNCONPLETISLEGITIMISSTIPENDISHONES
16 TAMMISSIONEMIDENEVERINTCONSECVIISEDETH?QVILICET
17 POSTVIGINTISTIPENDIAADEQVEHONESTAMMISSIONEMADEP
18 TIFVRINTABANNONARIOTITVLODVOCAPITAEXCVSENTIDEST
19 TAMSWMOVAMAETIAMVXORISSVAEACSIQVISFORTEESPROBLI
20 OVVLNEREGAVSARIVSFVERITEFFECTVSETIAMSIINTRAVIGINTI
21 STIPENDIA

The couple of "^" characters at the start may be meant to be A's, but they seem to lack the crossbar.

I'd be very interested and grateful if anyone could help with this. It'd be useful if the transcription could be corrected and broken up into words as well as a translation given.

I'll try to transcribe the second half (it gets a bit illegible towards the bottom) tomorrow.

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Constantinian decree - Latin experts needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:21:24 pm »
I've just read over on ancients.info that Voz has discovered that the text of this plaque is also known from another example "the Brigetio table", so please don't put too much effort into translating it unless you are interested! I assume that a translation of the Brigetio table is available someplace.

Ben

Luca F

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:19:08 am »
Dear Ben, I am a PhD in roman history and I am interested in the decree you found; please tell me something more. Luca Fezzi (lucafez@tin.it)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:45 am »
Hi Luca,
I didn't find the decree - the photo comes from a brochure from a museum in Bulgaria where it had been on display. The decree and other objects were on loan to the museum from the private collection of a local businessman.

The text of the decree is the same as that of the published "Brigetio table", which also includes the date and location of June 10th 311, Serdica, and attribution to Licinius (whose territory Serdica was in at that date), and more unexpectedly also to Constantine. The decree basically sets out retirement rights for the army, and being dated so soon after the death of Galerius (one month earlier), it may be seen as an attempt by Licinius to shore up support by the army given the new situation.

The Brigetio table was found in Brigetio - the modern city of Komárom, Hungary, close to Carnuntum at the topmost extreme of Licinius's territory, while this second copy was most likely found in Bulgaria at the other end of his territory (it was almost certainly illegally obtained, so an accurate find spot is not likely available). Seeing as the Brigetio copy was inscribed at Serdica (modern Sofia, Bulgaria), it's not surprising to find this copy there - the decree presumably held throughout Licinius's territory.

Simon Corcoran's book "The Empire of the Tetrarchs" includes some discussion of the Brigetio table, and I would assume there is also other published analysis of it.

Regards,
Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity