Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Which Roman Emperor Do You Think Impacted The World The Most

Julius Caesar
Augustus
Trajan
Hadrian
Constantine

Voting closes: February 07, 2106, 01:28:15 am

Author Topic: Poll: Roman emperor influence  (Read 4523 times)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Poll: Roman emperor influence
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:24:32 pm »
Thanks for voting!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Poll: Roman emperor influence
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 05:02:56 am »
I'd have thought Diocletian and Constantine I had more influence than Cara, but never mind, I do think Augustus was more influential than either, since he was the guy who created the concept of a Roman emperor in the first place.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 02:32:49 pm »
I do think Augustus was more influential than either, since he was the guy who created the concept of a Roman emperor in the first place.

Exactly. That is why I, too, voted for Augustus.

Alex.

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:54:24 pm »
I think Julius Caesar was the ggreatest....
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:09:10 pm »
Augustus managed to avoid the daggers, gain, I imagine, even more power than JC, and create a legacy which lasted up to the present. That's some achievement.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 06:49:53 pm »
An empire and a monotheistic state church supporting one another to maintain their power is the legacy of Constantine, and that's why I chose him. Whether you like this or not is a quite different question.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

peterpil19

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:20:52 am »
Technically not an emperor, JC did all the grunt work laying the foundations for the future Roman Emperors. 2nd I'd say Constantine because of the Church.

Peter

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 02:20:04 am »
I chose Constantine because of his involvement with cementing Christianity as the European religion for the next 1700 years.  Next, I would have chosen Augustus/JC, as they were the ones to refortify the old republic and allow the state to survive another 500 years in the west (1000 in the east) in a new form.  Because of them, Rome managed to stay together, and become more of an empire than an extended city-state.  Then I would say Trajan, because of his extension of Rome into so much more territory (also an attribute of JC and Aug.) which was ultimately shaped by it's Roman occupation.  Hadrian doesn't really belong on that list, in my opinion, as he never really nearly as much influence over the course of history as the others did.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 06:33:34 am »
If Caesar hadn't lived, Augustus would not have become emperor...etc
Yet I think that Augustus was more the statesman than Caesar; Octavian organised the framework which was to last three centuries. Christianity would have survived anyway, Constantine or not. And long after the total decline of the Roman Empire did the forming of states take place only to reach something like its old Roman predecessor under Charlemagne in 800.

Frans

Retrospectator

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:49 am »
At the moment I'm torn between Augustus and Constantine. Because of Constantine's involvement in the history of the Church I would still be tempted to nominate him. However, it was thanks to the Pax Romana, which, beginning with Augustus created the ideal conditions within the Empire for the spread of the Christian gospel in the first place.

Thi Nguyen

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 11:32:48 am »
I think Augustus (Octavian) was the mack-daddy of all political chessmasters. 

As Octavian, his reign was brutal and merciless, although probably appropriate to the times. 

As Augustus, he completely transformed his public image into one of benevolence. 

Also as Augustus, he attained absolute powers while appearing to wield much less power in the minds of the plebeian classes. 

Although he owed most of his military successes to Marcus Agrippa and a few others, his political achievements were, for the most part, his own.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 11:39:11 am »
Augustus is probably the most powerful man in human history(around a quarter of the worlds population under his direct control), Constantine just made it easier for a religion which was already beyond having any serious existential threats to it.
                                                         LordBest. 8)

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 11:43:07 am »
Constantine also destroyed Empire in my opinion.  He should have never moved the capital to Byzantium.

Jeremy

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 11:47:19 am »
Quote from: Jeremy Wallace on August 22, 2006, 11:43:07 am
Constantine also destroyed Empire in my opinion.  He should have never moved the capital to Byzantium.

Jeremy

Hmmm, I think it certainly doomed the Western half of the empire, but it allowed the Eastern half to endure for another 1100 years.
                                                               LordBest. 8)

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 11:55:42 am »
I'll agree with that but the Eastern Empire was nothing like the Western Empire.  It was only Roman in name so in my opinion not really ROman any more.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 12:12:52 pm »
They were always very different though, if anything the East was more advanced and sophisticated than the Western empire even in Augustus' time. The Byzantine/Romaion empire was just the evolution of Rome.
                                                         LordBest. 8)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 08:32:44 pm »
I picked Augustus out of the above choices. Without him, the Roman Empire would not have existed as we know it.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 10:56:54 am »
Augustus - maybe a very personal point of view of a collector who thinks that termination of civil war, global peace, a stable monetary system, manifold provincial coinage, big bronze coins, fineness and good style are evidence for positive influence.

A.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 11:07:09 am »
Hey - we're talking about influence, not positive influence here. ;)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Bill Perry

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 11:13:47 am »
Quote from Augustus on his deathbed (Octavian):

I found Rome of clay; I leave it to you of marble

[Cassius Dio 56.30.3]

I think that quote covers more than the physical attributes of the city - the political and economical could also be considered to have been transformed in the same manner.  The beginnings of the PAX Romana was a truly great accomplishment.

vic9128

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 02:14:46 pm »
Constantine was the most influential of Roman emperors (and I know this for a fact ;D).

"Constantine was the most influential of the Roman emperors, and his actions and deeds are still affecting people to this day"(not a whole lot of influence from Augustus still...wait a minute...the month of August).

An interesting question to ask is, “without Constantine would Christianity have flourished?”

The Catholic Church went on to become the most important institution in medieval Europe. It was a part of everyones life from cradle to grave. Out of the three groups: those who fight, those who pray and those who work, those who prayed were the first estate. They were most important as they got people into heaven. Priests prayed for your soul while you either worked or fought.

We are talking over a 1,000 years of direct influence here. Medieval Europe transformed into modern Europe, but Constantine's influence and that of the Church did not disappear. Just one example- the colonization of the New World. This can be viewed as one of the many Crusades. The Crusades were started by the Church. Understanding crusading is integral to understanding the medieval world; and the Church found loopholes to justify crusading from examples set by Constantine and writings of early Church fathers like Augustine.

I could go on for quite a while, but when we are talking most influential, "there can be only one!"

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 04:51:51 pm »
Hi all
Augustus for me too, because he created the empire

Regards
Potator

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 05:25:46 pm »
I chose Hadrian because nobody else did.  I didn't want him to feel left out. :'(

gavignano

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:31 pm »
Augustus, as he had a month named after him. A summer one yet.  ;D
Actually, Constantine is a close second. Would Christianity have developed in a similar manner without him? I wonder. might make a good novel.  Joe

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 08:21:16 am »
I love this kind of mental exercise. Really, if you are going to say who was the most important personality then the earlier they lived then the stronger their claim. This is simply because if there had been no Caesar then there would be no empire for Augustus to take over. If there was no Augustus to make the empire into a lasting entity then there would have been no Trajan- and so on. Having said all that, I'm going to vote for Constantine! Love him or hate him (I'm willing to bet very few LOVE him!) he created the Middle Ages and gave the Church the task of transmitting civilization into the future. The world is largely the way it is today because Constantine won the battle at the Milivian Bridge

All coins are guaranteed for eternity