Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

What is the first thing you usually look at when logging into Forvm?

100 last posts list
3 (8.6%)
Scroll to users online & last 10 posts
8 (22.9%)
Gallery
1 (2.9%)
Specific Board (eg. Identification help)
14 (40%)
Chat
0 (0%)
Numiswiki
0 (0%)
Catalogue
5 (14.3%)
Auctions
1 (2.9%)
Use the "search" function
0 (0%)
Identification help section - NOT Identification help board
1 (2.9%)
Other
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: January 30, 2006, 08:03:33 am

Author Topic: What is the first thing you look at when logging into Forvm?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
What is the first thing you look at when logging into Forvm?
« on: January 25, 2006, 08:03:33 am »
Just curious to see what people do when they visit forvm.  I'm assuming here that most votes (if any ;D ) will be by repeat visitors and will know exactly where they want to go.  The list is my own so no-doubt won't suit everybody (hence the "other") but perhaps may be of interest to Joe et al?

-:Bacchus:-

PS Perhaps there is a better place for this other than this board?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: What is the first thing you look at when logging into Forvm?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:36:25 pm »
I start at the top of the discussion board page, and read my way down all the forums. If I've got the time, and I'm not too tired, I look at the galleries and the catalogue as well.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:39:54 pm »
First I scroll down to the recent catalog additions and then I go upward: I watch who's there, then I have a look at the most recent posts, and the I go to "my" fields, the Greek and provincial section, then the ID help; the rest depends on the time I have.

Frank

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 04:57:09 pm »
Working my way from top to bottom: Fakes, some Identification Help, For Sale Elsewhere, Roman Coins, (sometimes Provincial and Greek), Coin of the Day, sometimes 100 Latest Posts. Then it's usually high time to go to bed!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:01:27 am »
I start at the top of the discussion board page, and read my way down all the forums. If I've got the time, and I'm not too tired, I look at the galleries and the catalogue as well.

SNAP

Alex.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 03:06:44 am »
It looks as if the majority know exactly where they want to go - a testament to the good design of the site.  Interesting that so many do what I generally do and scroll to the view of the last 10 post "1-line" sumaries and the "who's logged in" view.  Also, if I see a post by Curtis or Pat or a few others I tend to open the thread to see what is going on.

The poll runs for another couple of days so to quote a line from a politicial satire from here "vote early and vote often!"

-:Bacchus:-

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 12:51:52 pm »
I generally do the same, except I start off looking at the "Biblical Coins" section (which is unfortunately very slow), then the Historyand Archaeology and Ancient Coin Forum Boards, and then I scroll through the rest, checking out who's on line, etc.

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:25:30 am »
The first thing(s) I look at after logging on to Forvm are the Recent additions to the catalogue.  Then, as Frost says, ". . . way leads on to way" ("The Road Not Taken," line 14).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:38:41 pm »
Well, actually before coming here I look at the Website Award Committee's Yahoo! group to see if there is any business needing attending to there.  Then, on Forvm I first go to the Website Awards board for the same reason.

I then scroll to the bottom to view the most recent topics and to see who else is on.  Then it is back to the top and then straight down from there.  At various times the gallery and catalog gets looked at too.

Kevin  :)

Offline rjohara

• Consul
  • Once long ago the Milesians were brave.
    • Ancient Greek Coins of Miletus
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 04:10:06 pm »
I usually look at the Greek forum first, since that's my main interest, and then browse through the others as time and fancy dictate.

I recently discovered the "100 recent posts" page -- I hadn't realized it existed. This is a very good feature, but it reproduces the *whole post* for each item and so is very difficult to scan. Another website I often visit has an abbreviated "active threads" (rather than posts) page with just the titles and subtitles of the most recent active threads. (Users can set it to display 10, 20, or more.) This is the most widely viewed section of that site. I think if would be great if FORVM had a similar "active threads" page, and that such a page were linked from a conspicuous spot at the top of each section. I bet it would increase participation. I know there are interesting discussions going on in sections I rarely visit; it's hard to spot them now without going through each area one by one.

Just a thought. I don't know if it's possible with the existing software.

RJO

PS: Here's the example of an active threads page. It's from a website about computers, not coins, but the format is very efficient and the page is very popular with the people on that site.

Commodo73

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 07:22:40 am »
The catalogue, so rich !

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02:13 pm »
I always look to the discussion board first, to see who's been dropping some knowledge.  I enjoy the historical entries.

I also keep my eyes out for any denarius listed in the auctions!

I also...oh, jeez I could go on all night but I'd like to post a reply on Hadrian's Wall!!

Have a good night everyone!!

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:10:49 pm »
I generally start in the History section, check out CotD and then usually the general topic forum and Roman coins. If I have time I will browse more widely for topics involving military busts so I can confuse and/or annoy people by talking about the depiction of armour. ;)
                                                                LordBest. 8)

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:44:19 pm »
last 10 posts

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 03:58:21 pm »
There should be voting buttons, but I think the poll is long closed since the thread is over a year old.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »
I always look to see where Curtis has posted and read those threads and then I read almost everything else.

Jeremy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity