Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Christmas stories  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Christmas stories
« on: December 24, 2005, 01:25:39 pm »
The ancient coins collecting, besides other attractions, is a treasure hunting.
I invite members to tell the most exciting stories in this direction.  In positive sense, of course.
So,  this thread should be in contrast with the thread about the greatest collector's  errors and deceptions.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Christmas stories
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 06:43:07 am »
OK, to tune the thread I start with my own story though it may also be edited as "My greatest error".

The day started not as the best one. I knew that there is a numismatic auction in a city 100
km from my place but I was not in a good mood to go. A day before I have bought a huge
bronze (30 kg!) by Salvador Dali, certified and quite expensive.  My wife was not very happy with it (she used as chimney screen). Worse, my budget was over, completely over. Anyway, someone (Fortuna, Providence?) told me that I should go. I drove through picturesque medieval towns, stopping time to time to make a look at ancient castles (must be a pleasant trip, is not it? It was.). Finally, I lost my way in a forest and became quite nervous to be late. Fortunately, I arrived at time to the auction house but, as a  result of my misadventure, I  had only a few minutes to inspect the lots. There were so many that was extremely  interesting and I blamed myself for this damned bronze. The auction started: the lots I was especially interested in were at the and of the string and the prices were so
low making me crazy. Maybe, for professionals it is an everyday or, at least, quite a frequent experience but for me it was something exciting. The auction resulted in 111 coins and empty account. Fortuna redux! Investigating my acqusitions I understood that as for the newcomer, Fortuna makes me a Christmas present (does Cristians believe in Fortuna? I believe, and as people noticed it is very favorable to newbies). In a lot (hammer price 230 EUR!) of 54 nice bronzes of Probus, Tacitus and others there was one coin which should impress every Probus collector, even vivienne5592. For this coin Professor Sylvaine Estiot made her first post at Forum: she knew before only two coins with this reverse!

Your stories, ladies and gentlemen! 

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 07:59:03 am »
This is a timely topic for me.  ;)

A week ago I acquired a very rare Vespasian denarius reverse type issued from the Rome mint: Vespasian in a triumphal quadriga. I already had the quadriga reverse from the Syrian mint and was hoping to one day purchase the much scarcer Rome example.

Fair enough, that made me happy. On further inspection I realized that the obverse legend of my coin was unattested for the quadriga reverse in all my references. I was thinking I had either a very rare variant or a mule. After posting a question concerning it on Moneta-L, Ian Carradice (currently working on RIC IIa) contacted and me and stated my coin is a very rare official variant and he knows of only 3 other examples! He asked for a scan of it for the upcoming RIC volume he is working on.

Needless to say this is truly one of my better purchases. The coin can be viewed in my gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11162&pos=0

Lawrence Woolslayer

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »
bump

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 10:34:25 pm »
ok, even though this isn't a treasure hunt story of a find by me directly.....
Just perusing about a 100 year old book on Christmas customs (Miles' Christmas Customs - 1915) and saw that in rural Germany in the 19th century, a coin was placed in an apple as a common gift to young children. He speculated it was a Roman custom holdover, but think about it - wouldn't the German farmer tilling his soil turn up an ancient now and then? Maybe an Aurelian bronze in the kid's apple? Hope he washed it first.
Happy holidays.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 02:21:45 am »
Well, coins in food were not just German.  We had a silver threepenny bit in the Christmas pudding when I was young.  They were not current coinage at the time, so the family kept one specially for this tradition.  It was supposed to bring luck to whoever got it on their plate.  It was important that it should be a silver coin.  I wonder if that was also true in Germany?

It might have been a bit like the traditional new year gifts carried by a first footer - silver, salt, coal and a sprig of a green plant, symbolising wealth, food, fuel and crops.  Something to set the tone for the coming year.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 04:16:44 am »
We used to get sixpence in the Christmas pudding. I think it was fairly widespread.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Hermes III

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 04:49:51 am »
That is really funny.  I have had this reoccouring dream of eating pudding and then choking on a coin!

Willy

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 07:27:44 am »
I'm sure it's happened to someone at some time. I used to know someone who had the awful experience of watching someone choke to death on a biscuit because she didn't know first aid.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 10:33:08 am »
Okay Robert, well on a brighter note one of my other hobbies is keeping tropical fish, yesterday morning the eggs that a pair of Oscars laid hatched, the number looks like a 100 little fry.My two Oscars had been trying several times to mate only ending up eating the eggs because they reall y had not figured out what they were doing yet but on Christmas Eve they finally pulled it off. 

I have kept fish for 30 years but this first time I had Oscars breed.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 12:16:18 pm »
What sort of fish is an Oscar? Do they not normally eat the eggs?
Robert Brenchley

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 01:42:43 pm »
The oscar is a large fish that has a personality, in fact he is the dog of the fish world, he interacts and recognizes his owner. The first time a mated pair try to breed they need to learn before they get it right. They sometimes eat the eggs when they feel threatened or if the male did not fertilize them. A mated pair is hard to come by but really interresting to watch the courtship. I was not trying to breed them, it just happened.

I added the story because it was a happy Christmas story.

Here is a poor photo right after the eggs were layed.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 05:20:04 pm »
Presumably they're cichlids. Not that I know anything about aquarium fish.
Robert Brenchley

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 06:48:52 pm »
Cichlids and grows big as well.  75 gallon min tank space for a pair.

AncientCoins

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 08:59:41 pm »
How large at the baby Oscars at birth?  Probably incredibly tiny.

Andrew

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:21 pm »
I thought this was an ancient coin forum .... still, what can you expect when the moderator is called Bluefish.   ;D

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity