Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Gold Hyperpyron ID and value ?  (Read 333 times)

Offline Ronen G

• Auxiliary
Byzantine Gold Hyperpyron ID and value ?
« on: March 02, 2023, 06:40:37 am »
Hi All, my first post - I have reason to request some help in identifying ths coin of anyone can help ? I think it is John III Doukas Vatatzes and it is 4.5 grm in weight.

Can any one confirm or advise and give an indication of value please ?

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Byzantine Gold Hyperpyron ID and value ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 07:51:11 am »
To me it looks like sear 2072, DOC IV, 1-2.  John III Ducas-Vatatzes, 1223-1254AD.

Technically, he reigned over Nicaea, and not Constantinople.

Generally we don't comment on value here. You might look at past auctions for an idea.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ronen G

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 09:28:22 am »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I had thought the same about its ID but wasnt 100%

I've been offered this but the price is way too high going by past auctions.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 06:33:13 pm »
Fwiw, add 20% buyer's premium to auction prices if you are comparing.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 02:42:36 pm »
I agree with Ronen  BUT it could be a John II Comnenus Hyperpyron. The coins of John III were nock offs of John II Thessalonica issues, the only difference is J2 is 19carat, J3 is 17caratJohn III even took the title born in the purple ( He was Not) from John II coins he was copying.

A very long paper by Eleni Lianta goes to great lengths to prove this. Bottom line she says no visual way to distinguish between the two rulers.

https://www.academia.edu/35195487/John_II_Comnenus_1118_43_or_John_III_Vatatzes_1222_54_Distinguishing_the_Hyperpyra_of_John_II_from_those_of_John_III_pdf

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity