Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Recent Experiences with U.S. Customs ?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Recent Experiences with U.S. Customs ?
« on: October 20, 2022, 05:49:50 am »

Hello everyone:  I have had two Marc Antony Legionary Denarii (both are named legions) hung up in Customs in Atlanta since Oct. 8. They were shipped from Germany via DHL. I paid for separate shipping and the auction house agreed to ship separately a few days apart so both packages would be under the $900 per day “de minimis entry” exemption. They shipped in separate packages, but on the same day so they landed in Customs the same day. Together the value is under $1,500.  I researched U.S. Customs regs and learned of the exemption and found some  guidance from Customs that says if the value is over $900 but under $2,000 Customs “typically” will add some paperwork and allow delivery perhaps conditioned on paying a duty.
Anyone else had a similar experience ? Any advice on contacting Customs? Or am I just in a “wait and see what happens” position? All DHL is saying is that Customs is “processing” and that could take 30-90 days. 
Thanks in advance.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Recent Experiences with U.S. Customs ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:55 am »

Correction: $ 800 de minimis entry exemption.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 11:49:34 am »
Hi Ken,

Have you received a hard copy letter from US Customs explaining the seizure? I had a coin seized by US Customs during the summer of 2021 because when shipping the coin the auction house failed to include the proper paperwork attesting to the fact that the coin did not violate the bilateral agreement on Importation of Designated Archaeological or Ethnological Material. After receiving a letter from US Customs explaining the basis for the seizure I contacted the auction house, received the proper paperwork, sent copies of the paperwork along with a letter to US Customs explaining why the coin should be forwarded to me, and eventually got my coin. The whole process took about six months.

Good luck.

Tracy

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 01:39:16 pm »

Thanks Tracy.  While the delay is a bummer, your experience gives some peace of mind that there actually is a workable "process."  I have not been contacted by Customs and figured with a private carrier (DHL) Customs will likely contact them to say what the problem is.  I'm also thinking this well-known house included the correct papers, but Customs flagged the packages because they arrived the same day and together they exceed the per day exemption.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Ken

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 06:04:09 pm »
Ken,

If I recall my coin had been shipped by DHL and once the coin was seized by US Customs DHL just bowed out of the picture. I don't think that DHL was ever contacted by US Customs.

I hope that your issue is just the per day exemption, as that would seem to be something that US Customs should be able to figure out on its own. If not, then it should be easy for you to explain it to them.

Let us know how this turns out, if you don't mind.

Tracy

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 06:43:55 pm »
Mail has far fewer customs problems than DHL or FEDEX.

There are no duties on antiques or antiquities.

I have never even had an incoming shipment delayed, except by FEDEX who wanted me to pay for a customs broker. FEDEX was the delay, not customs. I suppose that is mostly just luck.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 06:52:53 pm »
Ditto.  My only import delays have been when DHL or FedEx require additional paperwork or ransom payments.  As a result, I generally request registered or certified mail from overseas sellers whenever possible.  I only agree to FedEx or DHL if insurance is an issue.  Some EU sellers tell me they cannot insure deliveries over a certain value unless sent by courier.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 05:54:22 am »

Thanks guys. It’s worrisome, but again somewhat reassuring that others overcame similar delays. Hopefully
I’ll be adding these to my gallery soon!

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 07:36:16 pm »
Almost 2 months in transit, 7 weeks of that hung up in US Customs.  Seems like a gross misallocation of resources given what’s happening on our southern border.  In any event, 2 important additions to my MAL collection have arrived.   

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 07:57:27 pm »
Fantastic coins.  Glad it worked out!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 08:15:46 pm »
wow... well that took a while! Glad it got resolved though! :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 10:10:18 pm »
Glad you finally got them, so frustrating.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 02:35:49 pm »
Ken,

I'm glad that it turned out well and that you eventually received these two wonderful coins.

Tracy

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 05:09:18 pm »

Thanks all. This experience will give me pause about using private carriers, as opposed to insured registered mail. Although while these were delayed I had a fedex from Europe sail right through arriving in 4 days. Thanks again.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 08:47:10 pm »
The only time I have had trouble from overseas to the US is from Bulgaria. As far as I can tell, these were never sent with customs forms, etc. I have often wondered if I was just getting ripped off or if it really was the mail as the issue on their or my end. In ay case, I will never order from anyone in Bulgaria again as I never got satisfaction from the seller and he, in fact, accused me of lying about not getting them. Live and learn. While I got some, I am overall down in those transactions. My coins from the main auction houses in Europe have never been an issue. And the values of such coins I have ordered have always been pretty low. Certainly under the threshold mentioned here.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity