Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Justin I solidus sear 55 but weighing only 3.8g?

(1/4) > >>

Ciaran M:
Hello all, I am a new ancient coin collector and this is my third Byzantine Solidus purchase.  Obviously the weight is very suspicious at 3.8g, the diameter is 1-2mm less than other solidus I have, and I think this might be explained by clipping.  When I queried the weight with the seller (ebay) he said it came from a German collection and it is likely clipped given the low weight and said he would accept a return or partial refund if I wanted to keep it.   Colour is not as lustrous as my other solidus.  Coin seems a little thinner.  Maybe it is genuine but well clipped?  Hopefully some experts here can help?

Callimachus:
Clipped. That should show up on the edge.
What does the edge look like?

Ciaran M:
I am sorry but I do not know what I am looking for on the edge that would indicate clipping and my camera is not great for taking detailed close-ups.  I have searched the forum for photo examples to compare but cannot find anything.   The edge does not look any different to me than the other solidus I have.  I do not have any loupe to inspect.  Here it is on the right compared to the other solidus.   It seems that the dimensions are smaller all round.

Ciaran M:
Having the 3 side by side I am happier with the colour of it than I was on first inspection.  Difference is lustre only.

Kevin D:
On the obverse (the side with the facing bust), at the top of the character V in the legend (at the upper right of the top of the bust) there is a dark 'spot'. Does this dark spot look like it is a deposit on top of the coin's surface, or does it look like the exposed inner core of the coin (as would be seen in a platted coin)? I also see some smaller dark spots at the bottom of the bust and on the neck of the bust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version