Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Pamphylia, Aspendos fourrée

(1/2) > >>

Mateusz W:
Pamphylia, Aspendos, stater with two wrestlers grappling. ..Struck in the main mint, by the exact die , and probably by the same people that were striking main coins... Any expert can give me more detailed informations here? It's authentication was confirmed by a very knowledgeable person, but this coin is such a mystery to me in terms of its real purpose. Why'd they do it, and can i find some references to other fourrees of this exact mint?

Altamura:

--- Quote from: Mateusz W on June 11, 2022, 07:39:19 am ---... Struck in the main mint, by the exact die , and probably by the same people that were striking main coins ...
--- End quote ---
What exactly do you mean with "Struck in the main mint, by the exact die"? That the official mint did produce this coin?
How do you know that? Is there a die coupling to non-plated coins?

--- Quote from: Mateusz W on June 11, 2022, 07:39:19 am ---... It's authentication was confirmed by a very knowledgeable person ...
--- End quote ---
What exactly did this person authentify?

Plated coins usually have been produced in ancient times to deceive people and to make a profit, that's all :-\.

At acsearch.info you finde some more fourrées of this type:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=aspendos+stater+%28fourr%C3%A9e+plated+gef%C3%BCttert%29&category=1&lot=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=1

I do not know any systematic research about these fourrées from Aspendos :-\.

Regards

Altamura

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Mateusz W on June 11, 2022, 07:39:19 am ---Pamphylia, Aspendos, stater with two wrestlers grappling. ..Struck in the main mint

--- End quote ---
I don't think it was struck. To me, the coin looks like a cast. For example take a look at the thin, flowing letters on the reverse and then compare them with the examples on acsearch. Of course, there is a slight probability that such a cast was made in antiquity, but to prove it, you need hard evidence, e.g. the exact history of the find.

Altamura:

--- Quote from: DzikiZdeb on June 23, 2022, 03:40:00 am ---... I don't think it was struck. To me, the coin looks like a cast. ...
--- End quote ---
A cast fourrée? It has quite clear signs of being plated :-\.

Regards

Altamura

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Altamura on June 24, 2022, 11:18:57 am ---A cast fourrée? It has quite clear signs of being plated :-\.

--- End quote ---
I thought silver plating was added after the casting was made. Do you think it is impossible in this case?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version