Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Identification Help on Lead Seal

(1/1)

Kath D2:
Part of a group of lead seals that we need help in identifying.  I will be posting them one at a time here.

Any assistance with any information on these coins would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kath Durand
Forum Ancient Coins

99058  10.250g  31.0mm   Legend retrograd HXA PICEI MI / blank

djmacdo:
Again, you will do better posting them in the Byzantine or seals sections on this board.

v-drome:
Hi Kath.  There are several of these on Gert Boersema's ( a Procurator Monetae here at Forum) archives on vcoins:

[Link removed by Admin]

From his description:
Lead tessera or amulet. Holy Land, Roman times
AXH / IECIP / IM (retrograde) in three lines
"The inscription of this amulet reads ‘H XAPIC EIMI’ – ‘I am grace’. Although this phrase is not literally found in the New Testament, it echoes the saying of Jesus in John 14:6 ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.’ The Greek word ‘charis’, moreover, is extensively used in the New Testament. Epigraphically, the inscription resembles so-called ‘magical’ or ‘gnostic’ engraved gems and amulets, also bearing retrograde inscriptions and square lunate sigmas."

Gert:
Yes, I recognize that description, but I have changed my mind on this and no longer believe this has a New Testament connection. It is much more likely a votive mirror, with an inscription 'I am the gratitude', i.e. for the divine favor.
Regards
GErt

v-drome:
Very interesting.  Thank you, Gert, for correcting my response.

Best regards, Jimi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version