Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasos stater - real?  (Read 640 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Thasos stater - real?
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »
Hi all,

I have some doubts about this coin, mainly because of its low price - 200$, which is more than a bargain for this rare variety;
another reason is the surface dirt seem to come off pretty easily, and weight is 8.20, which seems normal, but a bit on the low end.
Otherwise it looks and feels ok in hand, but there are many and different fakes of this thasos stater type, so I decided to ask for some expert help.
Thanks in advance!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Thasos stater - real?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:41:02 pm »
I see a number of what look like "casting pearls."  I doubt the coin is ancient.

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:20:26 am »
Thanks! So, as I supposed - "too good to be true". I have to admit I didn't suspect it to be cast,
but rather a pressed or struck fake, there are some tiny edge cracks. Probably a 'high quality" cast then, but are there any other indications for a cast fake?  Not quite sure about the casting pearls you mentioned, but if this turns out to be a fake
with a sure, I'd better stick to my provincials

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 07:10:19 am »
Sadly, these days bargains often prove to be too good to be true!  Mentioning provincials, which I used to collect but do no longer--just for the fun of it I maintain a catalogue of imperials of Apollonia in Illlyria.  That is easy to do because of the rarity of the imperial period coins of that city.  I know that RPC will eventually cover the entire period for the town, bit it is fun in the meantime.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 08:27:14 am »
See this page for the issues of this type and their style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=Satyrs%20and%20Nymphs

This coin does not seem to match any of the issues/styles known to me. I don't think it is cast.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:03:00 am »
Here is , if not a die match, but same style dies, I think. A rare type, better example than the present
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997079

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 02:21:25 pm »
Interesting. Attached is a larger image of the Nomos coin. It looks more the normal style than the coin that started this thread. I think that may be because the coin that started this thread may be tooled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 03:03:18 pm »
I won't be surprised, the fields looked kinda too even and somehow doesn't fit to the whole depiction. Of course, this is just a probability, it may just be a worn coin, but not a fake in any case.
Tooling would explain the low price it was offered for, probably derived from much worse, poor condition, even for a very rare type. Thank you for your help!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity