Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Andre's pencils, any opinions?  (Read 914 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Andre's pencils, any opinions?
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:23:36 pm »
Hopefully this is an OK topic for the board. I looked and the Forum shop does not carry these or any coin cleaning "pencils." If they did, I would buy from there. I just acquired some Macedonian bronze coins that need cleaning and a friend recommended cleaning pencils, in addition to other tools. Does anyone use this brand (Andre's set of four pencils with various tips) or another brand? I would appreciate any input on the usefulness of these and how they are best used. I have normally used bamboo skewers, scalpel, toothbrush, rifle cleaning brush (not metal bore cleaner, but stiffer than a regular toothbrush), and a dental pic. Seems like these pencils could be quite useful.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Andre's pencils, any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 07:45:51 pm »
I have not used them, so no opinion.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 10:58:39 am »
Ave!

I've been using Andre's pencils for several years now and have found them to be excellent tools for cleaning ancient coins.
Andre has now adjusted the tips of the hardened steel wool pencils to a higher and better grade. (2nd photo)

The variety of shapes are self-explanatory, but here are a few of my observations:

1) I have found that the two steel-wool tips work fine on either wet or dry soft dirt-covered coins, although we found that wet is better.
    Like normal, we use them in tiny circular motions whenever possible. Apply a dab of your saliva to the surface to keep the dirt in suspension so you can see what is being removed. Rinse in water, spit and repeat.
    Similar to diamond-dusted dental picks, the grit takes a bit of practice, but not much, in this case. After a few minutes with each tool, you'll figure them out. The grit is quite fine but hard. There is no need to bare down
    with these, trust me. A very light and gentle pressure is all you need.
    You can use either the tips or the sides as the case dictates.
    As seen in the first photo, they are fantastic on silvered coins. The top coin in the photo, a silvered Carinus antoninianus, took me about a half hour. Minimal to zero pressure and lots of spit as a lubricant. The lower
    coin, a silvered Constans Æ2, arrived semi-cleaned with those pesky concrete-hard, and a bitch to remove, encrustations that pretty-much covered all of the reverse details other than the inscriptions. In this case I used
    the sides of the pencils, spit and medium pressure, again in circular motions (this may not be necessary, but that's the way I roll). After 45 minutes, with lots of rinsing and repetitions and turning to the pencil tips for
    detail work, nearly all the concretions were safely removed, with zero harm to the underlying patina/silvering. The sharp pointed tools work swell on coins with Desert Patina.
    One thing you will notice as you progress is that the sharp-tipped tools will, when used judiciously, actually begin to polish the patina once the dirt/concretions are finally removed. To refresh the fibers, simply use a dull-
    bladed scalpel (blade down) and lightly scrape upwards from the base to the tip.

2) The use of brass chisel is again, self-explanatory, although I do not use it. Other tools work better.

3) The duel ended 0.00 grit steel-wool pencil is not suggested to be used as a 'duster', but rather as a final buffer/polisher once you're happy with the final cleaning. DO NOT get the ends wet! Whoops, we found out the
    hard way...they will rust! During use, the fibers tend to wear away quickly, but no problem. Just grasp the end fibers, turn to the right and pull for more. Note the open fields on the work-in-progress sestertius.

I highly suggest this cleaning pencil set. Easy to use and master by beginners or 'old-timers', if you follow our observations as noted above, these tools will soon become necessities in your coin-cleaning tool kit. Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 08:51:06 pm »
Thanks so much for this detailed review. I did buy a set and have only used them once. I used the steel wool tool with a coin with hard accretions on it and I was impressed, I will be hitting the other coins soon. I like the look and feel of them and I appreciate your comments on how to use them.

Virgil

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 09:48:19 pm »
Thanks Virgil and Kevin.  In your experience/opinion are these more forgiving than diamond encrusted dental drill tips in terms of scratching the patina?  I still use them in tight spots but my primary tool now is a no. 11 exacto blade. Always looking for a better tool though.  Thanks again.
Ken

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 10:59:58 pm »
Hi Ken,
I can't really answer your question as I have not used a dental pick with diamond. I have a dental pick, but I don't think it is more than steel and I like these pencils better than the dental pick I have I think because I feel I have a bit more control. One thing about these pencils, and I am not yet claiming to be an expert at cleaning, is that they are not faster than other tools I have used but I feel they are more forgiving. They are pretty precise I think. I am always super careful and I may be too careful at times. I think that, for me, they are probably more forgiving than an exacto blade, but I am not sure they are better. I need more experience to know. I use exacto, but am more worried about damage with those. I have found no magic bullet for cleaning, but these pencils are good tools I think and reasonably priced. The one I really haven't used is the brass chisel. I haven't found a coin that seemed to be suited for that one. The hard steel and soft steel wool ones are what I use. Personally, I can't really tell the two hard steel ones apart

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 05:35:28 pm »
I just bought a set from  popular online "auction" site.

I plan to use them to clean up a couple slightly to moderately crusty ancient oil lamps.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions for using them on terracotta (be gentle is a given)?

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 07:10:49 pm »
I have no advice for terracotta other than what you already know, be gentle, I would imagine that terracotta/clay would scratch very easily. I wonder if the little steel wool tool might be a good one to start with, as well as maybe a nylon brush plus scapel used very gently for chunks of crud. I use the graphite (?) looking tips on coins, they might work on fired clay, as well.

Virgil

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 10:41:38 pm »
I'm also assuming the steel wool pencil will be the most productive one.  I can see the others being useful for removing chunks of dirt/clay that are attached to the lamp.  I will absolutely, positively, be extremely carful as I begin the process.  I'll post some before/during/after images in the OIL LAMP thread when I begin.

Craig

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 10:23:28 am »
Ave!

Not convinced as to efficacy of a steel wool pencil on terracotta. Too much fibrosis, ha ha.

On the other hand, scratch brushes, brass and fiber, can work wonders.
Sometimes even the smallest brass brush is too large to reach into tiny details on coins and artifacts... Yes, or no?
The size of an ink pen, there is a twister on the end that allows you lengthen or shorten the bristles to your exact needed specification.
I use the brass pen as noted above and the fiber pen as a duster as I progress.
Also, the fiber pen, when the length is reduced to only 1-2 millimeters, can be used as a spectacular scrubber on dry (not wet) soft-dirt coins and especially on silvered issues.
FYI - The steel pen IS NOT suggested for any use on coins or artifacts!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity