Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Favorite Byzantine Bronze Errors - Funny  (Read 559 times)

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Favorite Byzantine Bronze Errors - Funny
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:46 am »
I love interesting errors - and Byzantine bronze coins made from the reign of Heraclius to Alexius I give error collectors a seemingly endless supply of errors to enjoy.

Still, it is rare for me to encounter a coin that has been overstruck and/or multi-struck in a way that makes me laugh. Sometimes the perfect combination of design elements are struck in just the right way to make an unforgettable scene. I will share with you my two absolute favorites. I hope these make you smile.  ;D

1) Michael VII 'signed' follis (Sear 1878) struck over Anonymous Class G - 7.5gm 25mm. This coin was struck such that the folds of Mary's garment around her left elbow are on top of Christ's head AND are just about the only clear design element from the understrike remaining on that side! His new hairstyle looks fantastic!

==> I've named this coin "Crazy Hair Christ" or "Hip Hair Christ" or "Combover Christ" .

2) Sear 63 (Justin I) or 158 (Justinian I) over an uncertain "M" coin - 15.2gm 30mm. What I think is part of the "M" from the understrike can clearly be seen in front of the emperor's face where the field in front of his nose normally is. In this case, the shape produced looks just like a pig's snout to me!

==> I've named this coin "Emperor Piggy" 

Let me know if you have any other naming ideas for either of these coins - and please do share your own as well!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Favorite Byzantine Bronze Errors - Funny
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 09:49:54 am »
Sorry to sound sacrilegious, but the first seems like it should be "boy-band Christ".

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: Favorite Byzantine Bronze Errors - Funny
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 03:42:53 pm »
Love the suggestion, SC!  Thanks for posting it.

It's not sacrilegious at all because we're not talking about who Jesus is or making fun of Him.  Rather, we are noting funny attributes of man-made representations of His image (or at least what they thought he looked like at that point in history.

God has a great sense of humor.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity