Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caligula sestertius depicting temple and bull on altar  (Read 510 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Caligula sestertius depicting temple and bull on altar
« on: January 16, 2022, 11:18:18 am »
Hi folks,

In another topic here in the Greek section of Forum, a Forum member recently asked for advice regarding a coin. Mark Fox identified the coin for the OP. He also provided a link to a past issue (March 2010) of Celator magazine.

I have a few observations:

1) I would like to thank Mark for providing that link. I didn't know that past issues of Celator could be viewed online.

2) In that issue of Celator magazine, one of the coins depicted is a sestertius issued by Caligula. On the reverse of that coin, Caligula is seen sacrificing at an altar in front of a temple. A bull is on top of the altar. I have an example of that issue. I purchased it several years ago. In all the years I have owned that coin, I never realized that there was a bull on top of the altar. On my particular example, it isn't that clear. However, after seeing the drawing in the Celator magazine, I now realize that it is a bull. If Mark hadn't provided that link, I wouldn't have come to that realization. You learn something new every day. This knowledge is all the more pleasing to me because, as many Forum members already know, I love MFB coins.

3) My example is attributed by the dealer as RIC 36. The example in Celator is attributed as RIC 51. I looked in acsearch, and this issue seems to have 2 different RIC numbers (36 and 51). It appears to be the same issue. Unless I am mistaken? Or is this one of those situations where a different (later?) edition of RIC uses a different number to classify it?

Here is a link to my example (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_caligula.htm

I am including a photo and line drawing of the Celator coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Caligula sestertius depicting temple and bull on altar
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:19:50 pm »
Both coins are RIC 36, as RIC 51 has different obverse legend:

C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P PIETAS

http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=fulltext%3Acaligula+51

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Caligula sestertius depicting temple and bull on altar
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 08:32:30 am »
Hi Pekka,

Thanks for the information.

This implies that the Celator coin is mis-attributed.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity