Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial - Nike?  (Read 660 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial - Nike?
« on: September 25, 2021, 10:11:34 pm »
The obverse seems to have a young ruler, perhaps Alexander Severus or Geta?

The reverse has a somewhat delicate depiction of Nike I think, the readable inscription seems to read "EΠITI" above and "ΣΔΔT" below. Likely both have further inscription after, and possibly before.

The coin weighs 3.7g and is 17mm wide.

Not a big deal if I can't ID this, I have three of them, and this  miserable example is the best, but I'd still like to ID it :)  Hopefully it is easy for someone.

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincial - Nike?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 01:51:24 am »
Perhaps this one from Smyrna under Claudius: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/2476

Regards

Altamura

Dave S3

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 02:25:45 am »
 +++

Thats the one :)  (or extremely close, good enough for me!)   Much appreciated.

regards
Dave

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:24 pm »
f you will turn the photo so the coin appears upright and crop you photos so we get bigger images, we may be able to do more.

Dave S3

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 06:52:46 pm »
Hi DJMAcdo,

I'm not sure what happened with these photos, they were correctly aligned on my PC when I uploaded them. Yes, I will crop more next upload.

regards
Dave

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:23:17 am »
I am not sure, but I think it has to do with some automatic feature that uploads the photos in landscape mode (horizontal) vs. portrait mode (vertical).  When I click on the photos above they do pop up vertically with the correct orientation for the coin.  I have seen this happen occasionally with other posts, also.

V-drome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity