Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My First Ancient Coin Acquisition: The Athenian Owl Tetradrachm  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
My First Ancient Coin Acquisition: The Athenian Owl Tetradrachm
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:46:44 am »
Believe it or not, this enchantingly archaic 2,500-year-old Athenian Owl tetradrachm is my very first ancient coin acquisition. I also stack/collect bullion and numismatic coins. The Athenian Owl is one of the most iconic ancient Greek coins ever minted, known to almost all coin collectors. It was the first successful international coin. It’s so famous, in fact, that this coin will also be recognized by much of the general public just as it was by the ‘hoi polloi’ of ancient Greece. I learned how to do the professional Owl write-up from the FORVM coin shop’s brilliant Owl sales write-ups for which I am extremely grateful.

Athens, Attica, Greece, c. 454 - 404 B.C., Old Style Silver Tetradrachm, SNG Cop 31, SNG Munchen 49, Kroll 8, Dewing 1611, Gulbenkian 519, HGC 4 1597, SGCV I 2526, EF, excellent centring, tight flan, bold high relief, minor marks, traces of find patina on reverse, small edge cracks, weight 17.25g, maximum diameter 23mm, die axis 330°, Athens mint, c. 454 - 404 B.C.; obverse head of Athena right, almond shaped eye, crested helmet with olive leaves and floral scroll, wire necklace, round earring, hair in parallel curves; reverse owl standing right, head facing, erect in posture, olive sprig and crescent left, AΘE downward on right, all within incuse square.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: My First Ancient Coin Acquisition: The Athenian Owl Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:49:46 pm »
It is a lovely coin. Welcome to the ancient numismatics hobby. Stkp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 01:42:33 pm »
A whole lot better than my first ancient coin!  Congrats!

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:52:59 pm »
Great coin

here is a nice video on the type
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 04:44:59 pm »
Wow, I want to get this type one day! Very nice coin, especially for your first one. Also, welcome to ancient coin collecting it’s awesome! Also, Eric I think you forgot to place the link, there is none when I’m on mobile.

Best Regards,

Justin

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:21:16 pm »
I still don't have a coin that nice. Beautiful coin, what a lovely first coin. Thanks for sharing that one.
Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 06:23:24 am »
Hi RB,

Nice coin! :)

That type was also one of the first ancient coins I ever purchased.

Meepzorp

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 10:29:38 am »
I would like to thank everyone for their kind comments to my post. My second ancient coin acquisition will be an aureus from the time of a past pandemic. I’ve probably already given away too many clues as to the aureus to the seasoned classical numismatists in the FORVM. It’s going to take me many months of scrimping and saving to acquire the gold coin.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the Marcus Aurelius gold aureus I was saving up for has been sold to another collector. Oh well, I could always get a silver denarius of the beloved emperor.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 03:14:43 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on February 08, 2021, 06:23:24 am
Hi RB,

Nice coin! :)

That type was also one of the first ancient coins I ever purchased.

Meepzorp

Thank you for your kind comment! Yes, I’ve just browsed your very well-organised gallery of coins and seen your delightful Athenian Owl tetradrachm. It’s a good safe coin for a complete newbie to start off an ancient coin collection. I greatly admire your collection of world coins. I also stack/collect bullion and numismatic coins. I was procrastinating for ages about buying my first ancient coin before finally taking the plunge. I still can’t get my head around the impossible age of the Athenian Owl.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:28:08 am »
I agree with the others... great coin and great start 👍

and welcome 😉🤗👍

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 02:49:40 pm »
This is an old post about an Athenian Owl Silver Tetradrachm that I acquired back in 2021 which also happened to be my very first ancient coin acquisition. Something has always bothered me about the coin. Can anyone notice what appears to be an Aramaic letter, a gamal, beth or lamed, on Athena's cheek? Is it an Aramaic shin? Am I reading too much into the tetradrachm and seeing something which is not really there?

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 11:45:24 pm »
I don't think so.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 01:34:22 am »
I don't think so.

Thanks so much Joe for your time, expertise and wonderful Forum! I consider the matter settled.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity