Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery  (Read 21640 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
I hadn’t seen your gallery before.  Great coins—you have a good eye!

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2019, 04:02:02 pm »
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2019, 04:35:37 pm »
Aurelian is just so Third Century  ;)

Capital idea, as  a focal point. Aurelian seems to have a sizable issuance in his name and that of the empress, Severina.  Other names to look out for, on the Palmyrene front: Vabalathus and ZenobiaVabalathus was son of Odenathus and Zenobia of Palmyra.  Zenobia assumed the purple upon Odenathus' (rather suspicious) death, with Vabalathus as nominal king.  One of the issues pairing Vabalathus with Aurelian would fit in nicely here.  :) Zenobia is quite the rarity:-\   

Even as a French speaker, I still find it tiring to read some of the numismatic works, such as RPC 7.1 (M. Spoerri Butcher). It's the wading through a multitude of languages (French, Latin, Greek...). Other writers are not a problem. 

Learning 'numismatic' French  will at least help you with some other works.  I'm not interested in learning Bulgarian, so am hunting for Varbanov's English translation of his Greek Imperial Coins series.

Anaximander

Anaximander,

There is something about Aurelian's short reign that has drawn me to him historically so I thought that it would bring some sort of discipline to my collecting focus. I would probably bankrupt myself if I simply purchased whatever I found artistically beautiful. Of course I still do plenty of that; witness my Larissian coins.

Somewhere on my list of "to dos" is to search out the sole coinage of Vabalathus. Zenobia's coinage would be a wonderful addition but I fear that the price would be out of my league.

By the way, I really like your gallery and so I recommended it for Gallery of the Year.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 08:28:10 pm »
...and now for something completely different (with apologies to Monty Python): a coin from the Sasanian empire. Khusro II to be exact: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159630

My strong interest in the Sasanian empire has lead me, naturally, to its interesting and challenging coinage. I hope that you enjoy.

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 05:41:45 am »
Excellent addition, Tracy.  Your Khusru II is in wonderful condition (sorry, technical term).  You have done homework on the type. Myself, I'm lacking in references, not having invested much effort for the lone example of Sasanian coinage in my collection. Incidentally, it's a Khusru I. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155750

Congratulations on achieving the rank of Consul.  Hail Tracy!

The lowly Anaximander, Praetorian.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56:51 am »
Thank you Anaximander. I appreciate it. I am lucky in that I have full access to the University of Wisconsin – Madison library system. The graduate library contains many numismatic references, most of which circulate. I have access to Göbl's Sasanian Numismatics as well as all of the SNS volumes published to date. In addition, when I am on the library's WiFi I have full access to JSTOR. All of this makes it easy to consult and collect reference books and articles.

Tracy

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2020, 04:17:24 pm »
Yes, I agree with Anaximander, and Tracy you are lucky to have a nice resource... ;)

Joe/Q.

p.s.

Nice Khusru II...  +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Mark R1

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 10:27:40 am »
Thank you Anaximander. I appreciate it. I am lucky in that I have full access to the University of Wisconsin – Madison library system. The graduate library contains many numismatic references, most of which circulate. I have access to Göbl's Sasanian Numismatics as well as all of the SNS volumes published to date. In addition, when I am on the library's WiFi I have full access to JSTOR. All of this makes it easy to consult and collect reference books and articles.

Tracy

Small world. I live in Madison as well. :)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 04:30:34 pm »
The research and descriptions of the coins that you post are a pleasure to read. Keep them coming! Stkp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2020, 08:43:34 am »
Mark,

It is indeed a small world. It's funny that oftentimes one may interact on a discussion board with others without knowing that they might be neighbors.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:46 am »
The research and descriptions of the coins that you post are a pleasure to read. Keep them coming! Stkp

Thanks Stkp. I appreciate it. Sometimes I think that I go overboard with the research and descriptions but I guess that kind of thing is just in my nature.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:12 pm »
Greetings,

I’ve created another gallery. This one for what I call “random coins”, i.e. coins that have caught my eye and was then lucky enough to purchase. Currently the gallery contains two coins, a good ol’ Athenian tetradrachm (old style) and a diobol from Mytilene, Lesbos. Both coins are gorgeous and I’m glad to have them. Both coins were purchased from Joe, right here at Forvm. As always from Joe: beautiful coins; amazing value; attribution and scholarship second to none.

The new gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7202

Tracy

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 10:14:11 pm »
Nice randoms!

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:48 pm »
Well, it’s been awhile since the last time that I added a coin to my gallery. The write-up for this one took me longer than it should have, but I went down a research rabbit hole that wasn’t even about coinage per se (which in turn caused me to alter the write-up of my other Khusro II gallery postings). Nonetheless I’m glad to have added a silver drachm of Khusro II from regnal year 2, a year during which some major changes to his coinage--and his crown--were implemented. I hope that you enjoy.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160758

Tracy

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2020, 02:26:13 pm »
Nice piece... +++

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2020, 09:40:26 am »
A nice coin and, as always, well researched. I find Sassanian coinage to be incredibly challenging. Stkp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »
Joe and Stkp,

Thank you much. Sometimes I think that I enjoy the research more than the coin. I do tend to go overboard with it. Well, I guess that "overboard " can be a relative term.  ;D

Tracy

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2020, 12:03:43 pm »
The research and attribution is always fun, The important thing is that you enjoy the hobby. Stkp

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2020, 12:05:48 pm »
The research and attribution is always fun, The important thing is that you enjoy the hobby. Stkp

+1 😀👍

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2020, 03:10:51 pm »
I absolutely agree, Stkp and Joe. The hobby is definitely still fun and enjoyable.

Tracy

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2020, 02:39:55 pm »
Sweet Sasanian addition, Tracy (congrats!)

:Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Upsilon:

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2020, 05:06:30 pm »
Sweet Sasanian addition, Tracy (congrats!)

:Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Upsilon:

Thank you Steve!

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2020, 02:55:10 pm »
Greetings,

I hope that everyone is staying safe in these very troubling times.

I have finally gotten off of my butt and written up this wonderful coin, purchased right here from Joe at Forum. This coin is a “random” for me, but since I have a soft spot for my favorite beast, Skylla, when this coin was listed as a “recent addition” I snatched it up.

Enjoy.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-161996

Tracy

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2020, 03:25:10 pm »
Great coin!  I love these types from Southern Italy

Here's mine