Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed by an exploding asteroid  (Read 1866 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed by an exploding asteroid
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »
Intersting...

Would like to see this peer-reviewed, including by astrophysicists with experience in the recent Siberian event.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 04:43:50 pm »
I cannot find the paper on academia.edu.
Is it removed, or the link is not working?
S.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 07:55:50 pm »
It was there yesterday being the first of the two links referenced in the last line of the news article.
I downloaded a copy. It was a pre- publication manuscript.

It now appears to have been removed.

Curiously, the publication "The Civilization-Ending 3.7KYrBP Event: Archaeological Data, Sample Analyses, and Biblical Implications" is not noted among those listed on the excavation website.

It looks like someone jumped the gun and the authors Steven Collins and Phillip Silvia have pulled the paper!

Abstract
This paper overviews the collective evidences for a cosmic airburst event that obliterated civilization—including the Middle Bronze Age city-state anchored by Tall el-Hammam—in the Middle Ghor = the Kikkar of the Jordan (of Gen 10-19), ca. 1700 BCE, or 3700 years before present (3.7KYrBP). Analyses of samples taken over seven seasons of the Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project (TeHEP) have been performed by a team of scientists from New Mexico Tech, Northern Arizona University, North Carolina State University, Elizabeth City (NC) State University, DePaul University, Trinity Southwest University, and Los Alamos National Laboratories, with remarkable results. Commensurate with these results are the archaeological data collected from across the entire occupational footprint (36ha) of Tall el-Hammam, demonstrating a directionality pattern for the high-heat, explosive 3.7KYrBP Kikkar Event that, in an instant, devastated approximately 500km2 immediately N of the Dead Sea, not only wiping out 100% of Kik- kar MBA cities and towns, but also stripping agricultural soils from once-fertile fields and covering the E Kikkar— including Tall el-Hammam—with a super-heated brine of Dead Sea anhydride salts pushed over the landscape by the Event’s frontal shockwave(s). In the aftermath of the Event, soil science reveals a sequence of soil recovery on the Kikkar of the Jordan that explains why it took at least 600 years for agricultural activity to resume in the area. Authors S. Collins (TeHEP Director and Chief Archaeologist) and P. Silvia (TeHEP Field Archaeologist and Director of Scientific Analysis) also demonstrate how these data mesh with biblical texts related to the Kikkar of the Jordan, including the destruction of the Land of the Kikkar and its famous cities (Gen 19).
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:05:56 am »
Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 03:49:14 pm »
With a little bit of slight googling you find out that the paper is still available here (at least at the moment)  :):
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286450259_The_Civilization-Ending_37KYrBP_Event_Archaeological_Data_Sample_Analyses_and_Biblical_Implications

Regards

Altamura

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 05:13:41 pm »
Thanks. That's more convincing. If they're right, that would provide an origin for the Sodom myth.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »
Interesting, theory, now is available on the "researchgate", thank you the link...

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity