Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Copy and paste references  (Read 2084 times)

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
Copy and paste references
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:45 am »
In the thread "Common Mistakes for Beginners" https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=73917.0 Rover says
A common mistake is to copy-paste reference numbers found in the various databases, or in the collections of others, usually on reference works they do not own.
In the vast majority of cases, these reference numbers are inaccurate , because they only refer to a similar variety. This mistake usually leads to a chain disaster, because another inexperienced collector will copy-paste this wrongly given reference number for his own similar variety, and the same mistake is done again, and again, having as a result a plethora of wrongly referenced, misattributed coins.
I certainly see the point, and I plan to either verify or remove the references in my own gallery. But suppose I have a coin, i.e. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-138012, and I find several similar coins online referenced as "Syd. 554". Is it OK to cite the reference followed by a question mark to indicate that this is an unverified reference? Or should I just leave out the reference until I am more sure of my research skills?
Thanks,
EB

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Copy and paste references
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:50:37 am »
He is overstating the problem when he says "vast majority".  Yes there are errors and you should try to verify the sources either by posting here or consulting many auction records. In terms of your tags it is up to you.  You could develop some system to indicate that you have verified the source.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:03 pm »
Coin Archives and AC search list what is found in auctions. They are not in themselves "reliable online sources." Some auction sellers are very good. Some are not actually reliable reference sources. Some auction sellers do an excellent job with their print auctions but are careless with e-auctions.

Three reliable sources is usually going to be OK. You will, however, sometimes miss a scarcer variation that you do not know exists. You will think you match the refs online but if you had the book you would see there is another choice that is a better match.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:05:53 pm »
I think what the author is saying and what I see sometimes is where someone references a coin that is a variant to the one being attributed or the entire series.  As Joe said above, that is not always clear if you cannot see all other variants to compare. This highlights the importance of having access to the right references. Also, mistakes can sometimes be made - we are all human. But you can always revisit and refine your attributions over time as you improve your skill and gain access to more references. I am going through such an exercise myself at the moment.

To illustrate the point about variants with an example:

I received the below coin recently. I discovered it was incorrectly attributed due to a field mark in lower left being read by the Vendor as an "O" (omicron) instead of  :Greek_Theta_2: (theta). Had I relied upon online sources I would unlikely have discovered it: wildwinds does not have the variant with a theta; and I would not have found it on acsearch as I was searching for "O" per the vendor's description.  

However each of SNG ANS and SNG Cop. had examples with theta. Comparing them to the ones with "O" I saw that legend break was in a different location. Then looking at the coin under m magnification I could see the dot in the centre of the circle making it a theta but the outer rim of the circle has been worn or squashed inwards obscuring the centre dot . I would not have picked that up unless I had the physical references showing me the different variants and then prompting me to look for evidence of it being a theta. Even then, it is possible someone might come along and say "actually that is an "O" not a theta and there are such coins with a legend break likes yours but those variants are listed in a different reference to the ones you have.".

Peter

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 08:29:17 pm »
As a simple solution I sometimes write verified information in pen and unverified in pencil.  If you are doing it electronically you could do unverified in italics.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity