Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted rev. legend on Antoninus Pius sestertius of AD 138  (Read 494 times)

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Unlisted rev. legend on Antoninus Pius sestertius of AD 138
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:33 am »
I have just uploaded a record of a sestertius of Antoninus Pius with unlisted rev. legend:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-123934

It seems to be an intermediate between Strack 744 (=RIC 519) and Strack 749 (=RIC 521). , but the exact rev. legend "PONT MAX TR POT COS DES II" is unlisted in the catalogues I have (Strack, RIC, Cohen, BMC, Banti).  I wonder if this has ever been recorded.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unlisted rev. legend on Antoninus Pius sestertius of AD 138
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:59:16 am »
Not published that I know of, but I had a worn specimen of such a sestertius in my first collection over twenty-five years ago.

When Oxford purchased the pre-193 portion of my first collection c. 1990, I was surprised that they returned this coin as a duplicate of one they already had! And indeed, they did have another one, from different dies than mine. I made them a gift of mine, since it was still of interest for the variant dies, and deserved to remain with the specialty collection I had formed of the bronze coins of Antoninus Pius in 138-9.

A couple of years ago I acquired a variant specimen: from the same rev. die as Oxford's first coin, but with later obv. legend IMP T AEL CAES HADRI A - NTONINVS AVG PIVS, Head laureate r.

Your specimen is a new combination of dies already known to me.

Rev.: same die as the coin in my first collection, now in Oxford.

Obv: same die as a coin in Klosterneuburg just north of Vienna, which has the same Pax standing rev. type, but legend PONT MAX TR POT COS S - C.

So including your coin, this form of titulature is now known on four sestertii, coming from just two reverse dies.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity