Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 267119 times)

blank

Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1575 on: January 28, 2023, 10:31:56 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on January 28, 2023, 09:53:58 am
I don't understand why you can't just store your images on your own computer like I have done since the the late 1990's

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/

It is not hard and not expensive.

Hi RS,

Huh? ???

I don't fully understand your comment. What is your point?

I keep a copy of my images. My website is an educational and research tool. Anyone in the world can look at it. It also acts as a registry site in the event of loss or theft.

Meepzorp

It is cheap and inexpensive to just put up your own webserver to store your images, and over time it is more stable than any commercial offerings.   You just connect an apache webserver to the wall and assign and ip address to it.  The link I posted to you have my coin images going back to 2000... before the twin Towers were destroyed.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #1577 on: January 28, 2023, 11:15:52 am »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on January 28, 2023, 10:20:25 am
Wow, I thought I had a lot of Lindgren plate coins, but you must have at least several dozen!)

Hi CJJ,

Thanks for the positive comment. :)

I am not 100% certain, but offhand, I think I purchased about 200 coins from Mr. Lindgren. Of course, I purchased all of them (except for one) directly from him before he passed away. I spoke to Mr. Lindgren on the phone numerous times. He was always so full of information. When I spoke to him, I felt like I was back in college again.

I wish I had more resources (money) back then to purchase even more coins from Mr. Lindgren. There are so many that "got away" because I just couldn't afford to buy any more. To this day, I still routinely think about 5 or 6 of his coins that "got away". And it really bugs me.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1578 on: January 28, 2023, 11:18:27 am »
It is cheap and inexpensive to just put up your own webserver to store your images, and over time it is more stable than any commercial offerings.   You just connect an apache webserver to the wall and assign and ip address to it.  The link I posted to you have my coin images going back to 2000... before the twin Towers were destroyed.

Hi RS,

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that I could do that.

Of course, this information is too late. My website is now about 98% done.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1579 on: January 29, 2023, 05:52:33 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I split my 2 Greek Italy, Campania, Suessa Aurunca pages into 4 pages. I did this to accommodate future growth. Those pages were too crowded.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1580 on: January 30, 2023, 12:59:00 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 6 sub-par (blurry) Antiquities photos and one Roman Weight photo. I shot new photos, and they are much better.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1581 on: January 30, 2023, 01:33:29 pm »
Hi folks,

Now that my medals and antiquities are posted, I will turn my attention to my next sections.

I have a debate in my mind regarding exactly which items I will post.

I have a few boxes of antique US coins, but I don't think I will post them, for several reasons. First, my website is primarily intended to be an educational and research tool. Much has already been written about them, and they have been studied extensively. What can possibly be learned by me posting my antique US coins that people don't already know? Second, the overwhelming majority of my antique US coins aren't rare. With ancient coins, it is different. Most people (especially people who don't collect ancient coins) haven't seen many of them before. And much can be learned by me and others posting them. Third, I don't want to waste any more of my time unessecarily posting my antique US coins. My project has already spanned 10 1/2 years, and my website (which is Phase III of my project) has already spanned 7 1/2 years. I would like to get on with my life. I think it would be wasteful to invest my time into posting my antique US coins.

That is one area that I am definitely not posting.

Regarding my ancient numismatic reference books, I am 50/50 on that section. As I have described in the past, I don't have a bookcase or any book shelves. All of my numismatic reference books are stored in boxes. It would take me a long time to go through every box (and move numerous boxes, which can be quite heavy) just to shoot photos of my books. I don't know if it would be worth the time. Also, what can be learned by others looking at photos of a book cover? However, it would be good for me to document my book collection. I am undecided regarding posting photos of my numismatic reference books.

I also have a few dozen modern commemorative coins. I am also 50/50 regarding posting them. I probably won't.

I have several dozen antique/obsolete US banknotes and foreign banknotes (mostly Italy). I also have a few dozen antique stamps, including several Columbus stamps issued in 1892. I will post those next. However, like with my medals, they are not stored in order. They are stored semi-randomly. For that reason, I can't shoot photos of one batch at a time, as I did with my ancient coins. Consequently, I had to use the same process I used for my medals. I had to shoot photos of all of them at once. I actually shot my photos yesterday. I shot 1,050 photos yesterday. Of course, I shoot multiple photos of each side, and I select the best one. As I process them, I will figure out how to name them and how to organize my pages. This process will probably take several days, at least, before I can start posting them.

After that, I have a few minor areas that I may or may not post. I am 50/50 regarding posting them. For example, I have several antique tokens, including a few antique coal mine tokens. I also have several antique stock certificates. I don't know if I will post them.

Meepzorp

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #1582 on: January 30, 2023, 02:24:20 pm »
Meepz.,

I, for one, really appreciate your investment of time & energy. As I've mentioned, I most frequently have used it for provenance research (or browsing for fun), but each time, I've also found some new interesting type, some useful "comparanda" for my coins, and collector notes that provoked my curiosity.

Aside from books, I don't collect the categories you mentioned next, but your reasoning sounds good.

These days, electronically publishing something rare but historically interesting (wow, antique coal mine tokens!!), even if the audience might be quite limited, can be of outsized value. Perhaps they'll be found by some historian or graduate student working on an article or dissertation about the turn-of-the-century economics in rural America, or sociologists studying how corporations used scrip as a form of social control, or someone at ANS or Smithsonian will prepare an exhibition on numismatic depictions of labor. Or who-knows-what purposes we haven't even imagined yet.

That's what's great about digitizing obscure numismatic (and other) objects and describing them in enough detail to be searchable: The diversity of types is "out there," just waiting for someone to come along and catalog it, or to assemble each specimen into a corpus, or to draw new interpretations from the old data. All the individual collectors with websites, people hosting them like Forum, and other dealers who make images available online -- they're all contributing to our new data-rich environment.

As you can see, I'm quite optimistic and utopian about coin photography!  ;D

Personally, I'm always interested to see a listing of the titles in collector libraries -- along with any details of "object biography" (bookplates or owner stamps, inscriptions, author signatures, when/where purchased, etc.). But I do know how much work that can involve, for potentially less payoff than posting coins. I've been trying to do it myself, among other modest projects, but have only gotten through (most of) the auction catalogs.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1583 on: January 30, 2023, 05:16:39 pm »
Hi CJJ,

Thanks for the encouraging message. :)

I particularly like your third paragraph. I have actually thought of that many times.

A few hours ago, I started processing (cropping, etc.) my obsolete US banknote photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1584 on: January 30, 2023, 10:48:23 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

I am writing to you after your last couple of posts and what Curtis had to say. I fully understand you're not posting certain things, but you just never know what will turn people on. I absolutely loved your medals and I do not collect them. The idea of coal tokens also sounds very interesting. I have a small collection of modern coins that go back to 1875 (German Mark) that I picked up in change when living in Europe. Most are pre-Euro, although I have some of those, too. I never planned on posting those. But who knows what people may want to see. I think you should just post what you want to and leave the rest. At some point, you may decide to do it.

But, this also made me think of a few things I have that maybe I should post, such as Iraqi banknotes or my military challenge coins. I always think that Forum is a place for ancient coins, but many people have much more than that and I look at them all when I have time (Robert L3's weapons collection comes to mind here). In the end, we all have to do what we have time for and what is most important to us and, as you said, trying to post things that others will find useful.

Your collection is great and I enjoy the ancients as well as your not so ancients. Like I said, your medals blew me away. Since a web site like yours or a gallery is such a personal thing, you should do what you think is best. I won't even get into stamps, I have inherited the dregs of my grandfather's collection as my dad sold off anything with any value and what I have is a mess and I am not sure what to do with them all. I am not a stamp collector, even though I appreciate them.

Wow, anyway, carry on and I always look forward to what you post.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1585 on: January 31, 2023, 08:13:48 am »
Hi VH,

Thanks for the message. :)

Yesterday, I processed/cropped about 90-95% of my obsolete/antique US banknotes. These are obsolete US banknotes that were issued prior to circa 1870s. I think I have 21 so far. I have 2 or 3 more to add.

Maybe I will post them before I move on to my next section, which will probably be my US National currency banknotes. These are banknotes the were issued circa 1902-1929. The city and state are printed on the note, along with the issuing bank's charter #. I have a few dozen of these.

Of course, I will need to re-size my website photos. I must get the number of pixels right, or my photos will be distorted. I measured a few of my banknotes so that I can estimate the correct number of pixels. I think my website coin photos are 500 x 500 pixels. Obviously, that is no good for my banknotes because they are rectangular.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1586 on: January 31, 2023, 12:23:28 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one new page to my website:

US Banknotes, Obsolete, Georgia:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bno_ga.htm

I will probably add more pages later today.

Meepzorp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #1587 on: January 31, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »
Great additions to your website, Meep. I'm glad that you decided to post your obsolete US banknotes. I look forward to more.

Tracy

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1589 on: January 31, 2023, 09:17:14 pm »
Hi TA,

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1590 on: February 01, 2023, 05:12:02 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1591 on: February 01, 2023, 09:47:53 pm »
Hi folks,

I just added 2 new pages to my website:

Banknotes, National, Nebraska:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnn_ne.htm

Banknotes, National, New York:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnn_ny.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1592 on: February 02, 2023, 02:05:29 am »
Since I live near Augusta, Ga, and have lived in the actual city in the past, you got me with the Georgia banknotes, Very cool. As a kid, I had a stack of Confederate money, I wish I knew where it was now (along with all my Mickey Mantle baseball cards). Confederate money back then was essentially worthless (early 60s), now it is worth big bucks. As are Mickey Mantle cards.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1593 on: February 02, 2023, 10:45:02 am »
Hi VH,

It must be very unnerving not knowing where those items are.

Something similar happened to my father, only worse. My father was a child in the 1940s. He was born in 1933. He owned several "Superman" comic books from the 1940s. In the 1980s, my paternal grandfather was in his 80s. He was born in 1899. He was a little "around the bend" (half senile). One day in the 1980s, he decided to clean out his cellar. He threw out my father's "Superman" comic books from the 1940s. Of course, they were 40 years old at that time. He put them out for the garbage. He said to my father, "The neighbors were going crazy over them". My grandfather's neighbors were picking through the garbage and keeping things. My father was so aggravated over that incident.

In the 1980s, my paternal grandfather owned a few grandfather clocks. He sold them for $5 each. He didn't realize what things (and money) were worth. In the 1980s, he thought that $5 was $1 million. My grandfather grew up in the 1900s and 1910s. Back then, $5 was a lot of money.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1594 on: February 02, 2023, 02:05:36 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 3 new pages to my website:

Banknotes, National, Pennsylvania, Part 1:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnn_pa_01.htm

Banknotes, National, Pennsylvania, Part 2:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnn_pa_02.htm

Banknotes, National, Pennsylvania, Part 3:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnn_pa_03.htm

I am now finished posting my National Currency.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1595 on: February 02, 2023, 07:54:05 pm »
These banknotes are fascinating. In terms of my Confederate money and baseball cards, I know exactly what happened. My mother threw them away. No one knew they would be worth something one day. LOL. I also had no idea there was a  Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta Railroad company. I live on that corridor. All of the items you posted are interesting. Thanks for sharing them.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1596 on: February 02, 2023, 10:29:33 pm »
Hi folks,

I just added 2 new pages to my website:

Banknotes, Large, 1899:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnl_1899.htm

Banknotes, Large, 1914-1917:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bnl_1914_1917.htm

I am now finished posting my large size banknotes.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1597 on: February 02, 2023, 10:30:34 pm »
Hi VH,

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1598 on: February 03, 2023, 10:22:52 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 7 new pages to my website.

They are all in one section:

US Banknotes, Small:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/bns_home.htm

I am now finished posting my US banknotes. Next, I will probably post my Italy banknotes.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1599 on: February 20, 2023, 01:27:42 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 7 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae07.htm

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Part 6 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_gencol_pt06.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 2 weeks.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity