Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266258 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Meepzorp's coin website
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:21 am »
Hi folks,

As many of you are aware, I finally finished correcting/updating my coin tags. I am now ready to start documenting my entire collection by taking photos and posting them online.

My preference is to create my own website. If that doesn't work, I will post the photos here in Forum. But I want to give that (creating my own website) a try first.

I've never done this before, and my knowledge of computers is from the 1980s. But I have a mechanical mind, and I learn fast. My niece and her boyfriend are going to be assisting me. But neither one of them has ever created a website before.

Using GoDaddy, I already created a domain name. But that may not have been necessary.

I asked owner Joe if he would host my website, and he said yes. But this situation creates a lot of questions.

If Joe hosts my website, will I still have to install Wordpress or something similar? How do I do that?

Can anyone recommend any good online tutorials for this specific situation (where Joe will be hosting my website)? Most online tutorials that I found are for people who don't have someone else hosting their website.

What type of software will I need, if any?

How do I physically go about creating the website?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:34 am »
Meeozorp

I hope Doug chimes in on this as he is the founding genius of numismatic website designs. Although I started my site a dozen years ago, Doug's was the Ur-coin-website.

One big question is where you'll store your thousands of picture files. Writing a basic webpage to display the pics with your text is relatively easy. You can just write the website yourself, using html, following the guidance here

http://www.w3schools.com/html/

This is appropriate for very simple text based websites, with pictures hosted elsewhere. The pictures are then embedded wherever you want using what's called the "html code" for an image. Most picture hosting websites will have a html code for each picture, either below the picture or in some drop down menu. Usually the picture html code has a width and length dimensions in pixels, which you can change to get it the right size.

That's what I did. I uploaded my pictures to Flickr, then just wrote a simple webpage in 2004 to include text, links to other webpages of mine, and embedded pictures using the html code Flickr gave me. It's quite fun and not so difficult. It has the great advantage that you are not dependent on a website-design programme which might go out of business or change pricing. Then you just give the code (as a text file) to whoever hosts your website eg Forum. And that's it.

An alternative is to copy the code of any website you like. For example Nick Molinari might be happy to let you reuse his code. You could also use my code but I wouldn't recommend it for a start because my website is vast, and as well laid out as Naples. So choose a simple website as a template. Your browser will have an option to look at and copy the code of a website. However I would warn that copied code may be much more complex than you would expect, especially if originally written using some professional website design software. It's rarely a simple option. At least if you write the code yourself you will understand it. Which means you'll be able to adapt it as the years pass. I'm in year 12 of my website. I guarantee that the website design programs from 2004 are all long out of business.

Then another alternative is to use something like WordPress which will allow you to put together a basic website quickly - but without you writing or understanding the code.

A fundamental question you'll need to consider is whether the pictures for the website will be hosted by the website host (such as Forum) or on another site (such as Flickr). If your website host also hosts the pictures it may seem initially simpler but there may be space limitations or limits on individual picture sizes. And it means that if you transfer your website to a different host, you would need to reload all the pictures again.

Other alternatives is to just use picture gallery software: Upload your pics to Forum and add your own text. Or to a photo hosting website such as Flickr, and add your text. Frankly the reason the Forum website awards died out is because gallery sites have replaced self designed websites (and gallery sites weren't eligible). You can add lots of text on such sites nowadays.

You can also consider setting up a facebook page for your collection, and adding all your coin pictures there.

I recommend you buy a beginners book on the subject (Idiots guide to making your own website).

I also recommend you design and upload a very simple website (for example with the classic text "Hello World", followed by a single coin image) before you go too far. That'll give you insight into the different steps in the process.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
Very sound advice from Andrew.

I ran my own website many years ago and used HTML codes, eventually i gave up due to the enormous effort of keeping the site updated (this website was not numismatic related). I personally found the coding hard work and tedious, albeit educational.

A couple of years ago i started my own FLICKR account, this was influenced by the great work Andrew had achieved with his site. Simultaneously i started designing my own wordpress blog/website, this endeavour took me at least one and a half years. I lost count of the number of times i started from scratch before finally being satisfied with the appearance. Eventually i settled on a similar look for both my FLICKR and wordpress sites, using the same avatar and background images.

Both of my current sites are drag & drop, this method helps me enormously due to lack of time i can spend updating.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:01:10 pm »
Meep, You can certainly borrow any code you want from my site, but I wouldn't know how to find it or what any of it means.  I guess you have to determine which method you find easiest to work with. I don't have time to learn code and I like the categorical layout Wordpress offered, but learning how to use wordpress as a fixed site takes time and patience too.  However, after the books are finished we'll probably switch over to the same gallery software that Forvm galleries use (Coppermine), which I think will be neater for the large areas (Neapolis, Gela, etc.).

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 09:13:21 am

How do I physically go about creating the website?

Meepzorp

This is the bottom line answer.

First you create a web-page(s) using HTML code. This can, if necessary, be created on a simple word-processor such as Notebook. When finished change the file extension to ".HTM" or ".HTML". If you want to see what such a page looks like go to https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/coins/r6a/r23791.htm and right click and select 'View Page Source' (I assume you are using a full size Windows computer). You will see the web page as plain text and be able to identify the descriptive texts from the normal web-page. You will also see many 'tags'. You need to define many things, such as font sizes or line returns, using tags. Tags are also used for defining links to other pages to insert pictures.

You may decide that this is too much and use software such as Wordpress to create web-pages. You can create web-pages in Word although I wouldn't recommend it. Although I have some 800 pages on my web-site, I basically created a half dozen basic pages and made the rest by copying and editing.

What happens when you have created your web-pages? First of all, you don't have to upload them to see if they work. You can view them in a browser direct from your hard-drive by double clicking on an HTM file (in Windows Explorer, for example). When you have the name and password of your web-space (my name for example is ftp://forumancientcoins.com/historia) upload all your files (including any file structure). Note the 'ftp' in my address. That takes you to a file structure similar to what you see in Windows Explorer and you can copy and paste or drag files as you would there.

I have to disagree with Andrew about storing pictures. Keep the picture files with the HTML files, not on a separate server. This is the code for the page outlined above. < IMG src="r23791.jpg" width="500" height="250" border="2" > -very simple. As I said, I have some 800 odd pages with the same amount of pictures all in the same place with no problems.

I hope that answers your basic question. The devil is in the detail, of course.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:29:19 pm »
Peter

I believe on most points we are saying the same thing. We are both saying "write the html yourself" as first option. You've brought some of how you save and upload webpages down to a simpler level. I think the w3schools site is one of the best to explain how to write html.

On the picture storage, your answer is probably more suitable to Meepzorp than mine. I perpetually ran into limits in storage (most recently, 100 MB) in my website uploads. This is because my site refers to gigabytes of pics - my pics click through to higher resolutions, and also the sheer size of my site (half million words with 3000 embedded pictures, many illustrating multiple coins). If one is content modest pic size, a few hundred pixels per coin, then storage as part of a webpage may be indeed the best answer.

Andrew

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:14:15 pm »
Why not simply use GoDaddy's "Website Builder"?
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »
Hi folks,

First, thanks to everyone for the replies.

My computer doesn't have a word processor. Will that be a problem?

Pete: I followed your instructions. I clicked on the link, then right clicked, and then selected that option. It directed me to the code page. It looks very complicated. It also looks like extremely tedious work.

Andrew and Pete: Why are you advising me not to use Wordpress and to write the code myself? Is there a reason for that advice? What are the negative aspects of it?

Nick: Why do you want to switch to Coppermine? Is it more complex than Wordpress? Will I have a problem if I use Wordpress?

I minored in computer science when I was in college back in the 1980s. And I was familiar with several different computer programming languages form that era (Basic, Pascal, Fortran, C, Lisp, etc.). However, the prospect of learning a new code seems daunting (and very time-consuming) to me now. I really want to get this rocket off the ground. I was supposed to start taking my photos in the Summer of 2013. I'm over 2 years behind schedule already. Plus, Nick may want to use some of my MFB photos in his upcoming MFB reference book, and he has a hard deadline. I really don't want to waste any more time learning a new code. A previous poster stated that Wordpress is the way to go if you want to get your website up and running quickly.

Can I install Wordpress in a website hosted by Forum?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »
I think you could have Forvm host a wordpress site, but that might be more complicated and involve installing the wordpress program.  I never had to do that for my wordpress site (at least I don't think I did), since it is hosted there.  My site is essentially a highly modified blog that is all fixed pages, and the homepage is a fixed page, whereas blogs usually show the most recent post. However, wordpress (especially fixed sites) are not easy, and all website creation involves a lot of tedious work.

Maybe you should do the photography first and then work on website development, so as not to take on too much at once.  With the amount of coins you have, and the fact that you want to photograph the written tags of the descriptions (which I advise against), this might be advisable.

The greatest advantage to writing the HTML would be that you know the framework of the site and can go to any server you choose.  I have no clue about the essential framework of my site and if wordpress decides to charge me $100 a month my website dies (I think).

Also, why not just start a gallery here on Forvm instead of your own website?

Nick

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
Meezorp

Andrew and I were just trying to give you options. Even if you use Wordpress or similar there will still be a learning curve. I used a program which is no longer available so I won't name it. But once I created the first few pages I now copy, paste and edit.

Wordpress or any other program does not get loaded onto a website. You use it to create your web-pages on your hard-drive and then just copy those web-pages onto your web-site.

I agree with Nick.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:25 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 01:34:14 pm
Andrew and Pete: Why are you advising me not to use Wordpress and to write the code myself? Is there a reason for that advice? What are the negative aspects of it?

Meepzorp

Since you've made clear that you are comfortable with technical matters and code, and that you were wary of an automated approach, I think at least you should learn a little basic html skills. Because ultimately everything you publish, whether written yourself or using help such as Wordpress, is translated in html. Trying it yourself allows you to understand "what's under the bonnet" (I think in the US you say "under the hood").

The disadvantage of writing the html yourself is you won't easily be able to make beautiful layout styles easily that may need complex code. And you have to learn it, and it'll take more experimentation. For example when your webpage all turns bold after a certain point, you'll need to search for where you omitted the command. There's no graphical user interface with html - you can't select text and click a "bold" button.

The advantage of writing the html yourself is that a simple webpage should look exactly as you want. If you ask for a table with varying column widths, with a picture to the right, that's exactly what you get. And you'll understand what's under the bonnet, so if something isn't right you can fix it yourself.

The advantages/disadvantages of programmed web page makers are the reciprocal of these.

Even if you decide on a WordPress approach, I think its useful, indeed essential, to understand html anyway, to know what's under the bonnet. I do recommend the w3schools tutorials as a good way to get into html. So maybe the answer is to get some basic experience with html, and do some practice pages. Then switch to a programmed web page maker to produce easy and nice results.

By the way, if you've struggled through Fortran, then html will be a doddle. There's not much in it at a basic level. You will need a good text processor, and I recommend htmlkit (find it via Google). Htmlkit colour codes the different sorts of html commands, ensuring you don't lose that I used as an example! Even better, you can preview your webpage as you are writing it.

I do worry a bit however when you say your PC doesn't have a word processor. Not so much because you need one, but because you've apparently never downloaded a free word processor such as Opendoc. If you are getting into web page publishing, you'll need to be comfortable with downloading and using tools such as htmlkit, and with searching for help, which may need you to download other things. I've made the same point about your photo editing program - you need to download and personally evaluate various tools, and if necessary know how to uninstall programmed that are not for you. And many programmes will require up to date operating systems or web browsers to work well, including necessary plugins such as Java. You can write html on a basic Windows XP machine, and htmlkit will work on such a machine, but I couldn't guarantee that XP with IE6 (if this is what you have) will be suitable for everything.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 02:20:54 pm »
Meepzorp:
I am not advocating using code.
I abhor html code, in that I am totally ignorant on it. That's why I use Frontpage 2003.
Use Wordpress if you like. Reviews by dummies like me say Wordpress is more difficult than Frontpage 2003. Others say Frontpage is stone age software. Just right for me. :-)
However, step number one for you is to take a pencil and paper and draw your home page!!! And subsequent pages.
Then go on to putting it into Wordpress or something even easier, like Frontpage.
You might find a used but registerable version of Frontpage 2003 on eBay or other places.
You just have to decide, then do it.
You would not need word processing software, in that you type directly into, say, Frontpage.
You already have a domain, but you may have to download an ftp client software, like free Filezilla, to upload your work to your domain site, if that is what Godaddy requires. Or maybe they have their own ftp client upload software.
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 02:22:06 pm »
...and the fact that you want to photograph the written tags of the descriptions (which I advise against)

Nick

Hi Nick,

Why do you advise against it?

I just spent 6 months re-writing my tags. And one of the main reasons I did that is so I can just take photos of my tags instead of writing everything out again online. If I am not going to be taking photos of my tags, then I just did all of that for nothing.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »
Postscript - just to say I agree with Nick and I agree with Peter. We are all saying basically the same thing, and we all think that some low-level html skills will be very beneficial. A good webpage may last decades. Doug Smith's webpage is into its third decade (1990s, 2000s, 2010s) and hopefully will have decades to go. I used AltaVista when I made my first pages (who remembers AltaVista?). Today's programs probably won't exist in ten years. But html is forever. So even if you use other tools to make your page, understanding html will allow you to manually tweak it, and may save you from disaster in the future.

One of our Forum colleagues made a very beautiful website about 10 years ago. About 3 or 4 years ago I asked why he hadn't updated it in a while. He said it was because he no longer had any way to access the editor programme (can't recall whether it was because they'd asked for a lot of money, or because the program was no longer supported). Backs up Nick's concern.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 02:31:30 pm »

Nick

Hi Nick,

There are 2 reasons for this:

1) As I mentioned above, I am planning on taking photos of my hand-written tags instead of re-writing everything again online. If I use Forum's gallery, I don't know how that would be "do-able". For one thing, I'd be combining 4 or 5 or 6 photos into 1 photo instead of 2 photos into 1 photo. Also, no one else does it that way. I think it would look ridiculous in that setting.

2) Considering the way that Forum's gallery is set up, I don't know if what I have in mind would be "do-able". I'd like to do multiple folders. And folders within folders within folders. Also, I'm not 100% sure of the arrangement of the coins in Forum's gallery. It appears to me that they are in simple chronological order (by when they were added). I want to be able to customize the order.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 02:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 01:34:14 pm

Meepzorp

Since you've made clear that you are comfortable with technical matters and code, and that you were wary of an automated approach, I think at least you should learn a little basic html skills. Because ultimately everything you publish, whether written yourself or using help such as Wordpress, is translated in html. Trying it yourself allows you to understand "what's under the bonnet" (I think in the US you say "under the hood").

The disadvantage of writing the html yourself is you won't easily be able to make beautiful layout styles easily that may need complex code. And you have to learn it, and it'll take more experimentation. For example when your webpage all turns bold after a certain point, you'll need to search for where you omitted the command. There's no graphical user interface with html - you can't select text and click a "bold" button.

The advantage of writing the html yourself is that a simple webpage should look exactly as you want. If you ask for a table with varying column widths, with a picture to the right, that's exactly what you get. And you'll understand what's under the bonnet, so if something isn't right you can fix it yourself.

The advantages/disadvantages of programmed web page makers are the reciprocal of these.

Even if you decide on a WordPress approach, I think its useful, indeed essential, to understand html anyway, to know what's under the bonnet. I do recommend the w3schools tutorials as a good way to get into html. So maybe the answer is to get some basic experience with html, and do some practice pages. Then switch to a programmed web page maker to produce easy and nice results.

By the way, if you've struggled through Fortran, then html will be a doddle. There's not much in it at a basic level. You will need a good text processor, and I recommend htmlkit (find it via Google). Htmlkit colour codes the different sorts of html commands, ensuring you don't lose that I used as an example! Even better, you can preview your webpage as you are writing it.

I do worry a bit however when you say your PC doesn't have a word processor. Not so much because you need one, but because you've apparently never downloaded a free word processor such as Opendoc. If you are getting into web page publishing, you'll need to be comfortable with downloading and using tools such as htmlkit, and with searching for help, which may need you to download other things. I've made the same point about your photo editing program - you need to download and personally evaluate various tools, and if necessary know how to uninstall programmed that are not for you. And many programmes will require up to date operating systems or web browsers to work well, including necessary plugins such as Java. You can write html on a basic Windows XP machine, and htmlkit will work on such a machine, but I couldn't guarantee that XP with IE6 (if this is what you have) will be suitable for everything.

Hi Andrew,

First, out of all the computer programming languages I learned in my youth, Fortran and Lisp are probably the ones I am least familiar with. I was most familiar with Basic and Pascal. But that was 30 years ago.

Second, I have a Dell computer that was built in circa 2007-2008, model Inspiron 1525. It uses Windows Vista.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 02:49:54 pm »
Postscript - just to say I agree with Nick and I agree with Peter. We are all saying basically the same thing, and we all think that some low-level html skills will be very beneficial. A good webpage may last decades. Doug Smith's webpage is into its third decade (1990s, 2000s, 2010s) and hopefully will have decades to go. I used AltaVista when I made my first pages (who remembers AltaVista?). Today's programs probably won't exist in ten years. But html is forever. So even if you use other tools to make your page, understanding html will allow you to manually tweak it, and may save you from disaster in the future.

One of our Forum colleagues made a very beautiful website about 10 years ago. About 3 or 4 years ago I asked why he hadn't updated it in a while. He said it was because he no longer had any way to access the editor programme (can't recall whether it was because they'd asked for a lot of money, or because the program was no longer supported). Backs up Nick's concern.

Hi Andrew,

I see your point.

But I could always learn html at that time in the future, if and when it becomes necessary.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 02:52:39 pm »
You'll be ok on computing power then. But you will need to download a word processor because that's the only practical way to draft your webpage text. Whether you use html or a web page maker, there's a presumption that you'll copy and paste your text sections from a word processor (or perhaps from spreadsheet fields), as the editing capabilities in html text editors, or in webpage makers where you fill in fields, will be very limited. You also need to save your text somewhere that's not in an ephemeral programming tool, and in a version you can use and edit offline when not connected. That again points to a word processor or spreadsheet. Somewhere you can save and edit your own data offline.

If you even once understood BASIC as a kid, html will be easier. It's just a series of commands that say "make the text look like this", or "place the text or images here" or "link to this here". There's no complex logic. The only thing you have to continually remember is that each command needs a stop command eg "stop making the text look like this". That's it. I've explained all you need to know. Simpler than BASIC.

I agree that you can learn html later, as you suggested. But you can do both without much difficulty - use a webpage editor, and practice a little html for fun and understanding too.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 02:31:30 pm

Nick
1) As I mentioned above, I am planning on taking photos of my hand-written tags instead of re-writing everything again online.

Meep,

If I understand your comment above, your plan is to include photos of your tags as your coin descriptions on your website with no further text description of the coins.  While this approach will certainly save inputting time, I fear it will not create a very useable website, for you or anyone else, as your coins would not be searchable by description.  Will you at least include the standard reference citation numbers in html text with respect to each coin?  I would hate for you to go to all this effort, only to have a website that no one can search.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 03:08:37 pm »
You'll be ok on computing power then. But you will need to download a word processor because that's the only practical way to draft your webpage text. Whether you use html or a web page maker, there's a presumption that you'll copy and paste your text sections from a word processor (or perhaps from spreadsheet fields), as the editing capabilities in html text editors, or in webpage makers where you fill in fields, will be very limited. You also need to save your text somewhere that's not in an ephemeral programming tool, and in a version you can use and edit offline when not connected. That again points to a word processor or spreadsheet. Somewhere you can save and edit your own data offline.

Hi Andrew,

A previous poster wrote that I don't need a word processor. You just stated that I do need one. Who is correct?

To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't planning on putting much text in my website. Once a viewer is beyond the home page, there will be very little, if any, text.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 11, 2015, 03:03:54 pm
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 02:31:30 pm

Nick
1) As I mentioned above, I am planning on taking photos of my hand-written tags instead of re-writing everything again online.

Meep,

If I understand your comment above, your plan is to include photos of your tags as your coin descriptions on your website with no further text description of the coins.  While this approach will certainly save inputting time, I fear it will not create a very useable website, for you or anyone else, as your coins would not be searchable by description.  Will you at least include the standard reference citation numbers in html text with respect to each coin?  I would hate for you to go to all this effort, only to have a website that no one can search.

Hi Cara,

You posted as I was writing my previous post.

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'll take this fact into consideration. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 03:19:51 pm »
Why not simply use GoDaddy's "Website Builder"?
PeteB

+1

Copy and paste and you're done.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 03:08:37 pm

Hi Andrew,

A previous poster wrote that I don't need a word processor. You just stated that I do need one. Who is correct?

To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't planning on putting much text in my website. Once a viewer is beyond the home page, there will be very little, if any, text.

Meepzorp

Indeed you don't "need" a word processor though it is rather odd not to have one since good word processors can nowadays be downloaded for free. You can indeed save all your info in your website programme (such as, the recommended, GoDaddys website builder, or WordPress, or htmlkit, or whatever). You also don't "need" to know html. You also don't "need" to build a website at all, since as you've explained all your data is in pictorial form, so nothing is really gained by having a website rather than uploading the pics in an online gallery. Ultimately you don't "need" any of these things since you have your coins and your corrected tags and can just enjoy them without an online presence.

So ultimately you don't "need" anything at all. But you may "want" some of these capabilities.

Having read this entire thread, and understanding your computing capabilities and wishes, to be frank I'd go the Online Gallery route, include your tags in the same photo as the coins, arrange the galleries into albums for each numismatic area, and you're done. No need website. Forum offers a free gallery function. For my purposes I prefer to use Flickr.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »
Copy and paste and you're done.

Copy from ... what? (Meep apparently had no electronic records, nor even Office software to retain such). Is GoDaddy website builder oriented towards a wholly image-based approach?

But anyway I think with what I now know of Meepzorps wishes, uploading to some form of gallery rather than building a website, sounds best.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »
The tags weren't a total waste of time.  You made a lot of corrections and will have a hard copy with your coins.  But using a Forvm gallery and typing in the info is your best option in my opinion.  I find writing my gallery descriptions fun.  Just take your time and do a few a day as you photograph them and edit the photos.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity