Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina II twins  (Read 1714 times)

Amentia

Faustina II twins
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:32 am »
Both coins share the same centering, flan shape and wear.
But they were for sale at the same time so it isn´t possible that it is the same coin cleaned and unclaned.
The weight of the 1 coin (above) is pretty low 4,76 g but the corrosion and surface looks convinving.
The N of ΦAVCTEINA is only visible on the lower coin, on the coin above it disapperared, if the upper coin is host they would have to reengrave the N.
There is a deep scratch on the chin on the coin above that isn´t  visible on the lower coin.

[LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Your opinions are appreciated

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Faustina II twins
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:00 am »
Post the photos, not the links. The links will soon be dead.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:17:59 am »

Upper coin (other ended):

Amentia

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:12 am »
Sorry.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42:53 am »
They seem to be from the same mold/mould....hence, cast fakes.
PeteB

Offline moneta_auction

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:07:57 am »
the coin is a genuine, buy for the first time in the ended auction and then sell from another customer.

best
moneta_auction

Amentia

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »
My first thought was that it is the same coin only cleaned, too but this isn´t possible.

One coin was sold on 30 January.
Other coin is currently for sale but the listing begun before the other coin was sold.

To the coin currently for sale (13d15H) left:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/duration.html

There are only these duration available : "duration of 1, 3, 5, 7, or 10 days. If you're using the fixed price format, you can also choose a 30-day"

14 Days listings arent possible and if 14 days listings would be possible it wouldn´t change anyting because the time till ending was 14d11 when I first looked at it yesterday.(more than14 days)

21 days listing doesn´t exist and even if possible then the coin must have been paid, shipped, cleaned and listed within 3 days.

There is still more than 10 days left (13d15H) so it can only be the 30 days listing, 13d15h left means that it was listed 16d9h before = 26 January.

I looked who bought the coin o***o ( 354) this ins´t the new seller who is  gallery_perfektsionista (861 ) and who offers it currently.

The first coin looks genuine but the weight 4,76 g  pretty low, there is a much much much much more worn specimen from forum which still weighs more (5.351g)

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=19829

Adon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:09 pm »
Delete this thread please, seller misunderstood me and ended listing although the (upper) second coin is perfectly authentic.
It is actually not the same coin that was sold on 30 January, asked seller.

The (upper) second coin was the host Diameter 23-22mm and the lower coin Diameter ~21mm is cast.
The difference in diameter is due to shrinkage of the cast fake when it cooled down.

"When density is lower, fused metal occupies more volume and less weight is allowed inside mould. Or said in other words, when melted a gram occupies more volumen than same gram at room temperature. So, when they cold, they shrink...
That allows us to see the cast ones (bad ones....if forger is good, makes mould bigger and then weight and size cold are same as the original ones...)"

Offline Lacedaemon

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:49:14 pm »
I don't see how either coin could be the host as they both seem to exhibit small details absent from the other. The size difference is more likely due to measuring different angles of the uneven shape of the coin.

A pair of cast fakes.

Offline moneta_auction

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:10 am »
Delete this thread please, seller misunderstood me and ended listing although the (upper) second coin is perfectly authentic.
It is actually not the same coin that was sold on 30 January, asked seller.

The (upper) second coin was the host Diameter 23-22mm and the lower coin Diameter ~21mm is cast.
The difference in diameter is due to shrinkage of the cast fake when it cooled down.

"When density is lower, fused metal occupies more volume and less weight is allowed inside mould. Or said in other words, when melted a gram occupies more volumen than same gram at room temperature. So, when they cold, they shrink...
That allows us to see the cast ones (bad ones....if forger is good, makes mould bigger and then weight and size cold are same as the original ones...)"

I think that Adon is right, the coin in a yellow background is a authentic, another is a cast fake.

best

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:54:49 am »
I agree the yellow background coin appears to be the genuine original, the other a cast. Fake coin report please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Marius2

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:59 am »
"I don't see how either coin could be the host as they both seem to exhibit small details absent from the other. The size difference is more likely due to measuring different angles of the uneven shape of the coin."

I can explain the differences like that the N of ΦAVCTEINA is only visible on the lower coin.
The missing N, some holes and scratches that are visible now are the result of harshly cleaning, the holes and scratches were covered before under patina or encrustations.
The cast coin shows how the host coin looked like before it was cleaned.
The upper coin was use to create a mould before it was cleaned.
Now that the host (seed) was harshly cleaned it looks differnent compared to the cast fake that shows how it looked before cleaning.

Offline moneta_auction

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:25:24 am »
I agree the yellow background coin appears to be the genuine original, the other a cast. Fake coin report please.

Done

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 04:44:12 pm »
Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President