Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mattathia Antigonus pruta?  (Read 2683 times)

a

Mattathia Antigonus pruta?
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:59:24 am »
Hi,

By the die stile, I can guess that it is Mattathia's pruta, but between the horns on obverse appearing some round object that resembles promenade, rather than earns. It have about 13 mm in diameter.

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Mattathia Antigonus pruta?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:11:40 am »
It looks very much that way with the single cornucopia. The flan should clinch it; Mattathias minted on distingtive double-thick flans. It looks from your pics as though the flan is very thick; can you confirm this?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

a

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:22:33 am »
Hi Robert,

I sure that it is double cornucopia. The angle of picture and off centered struck didn't allow to see the left cornucopia. Regarding double thick, you are right. I can even see how one die shifted relatively to the second one.

Explorer

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:01:47 pm »
 :Judean_mah_3: :Judean_waw_1: :Judean_lam_2: :Judean_shin_1:

Bronze prutah, Hendin 483,  around 15.0mm, 0o,
the right side:obverse retrograde Hebrew inscription, Mattatayah, surrounded by wreath and border of dots;
the left side , reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, ear of barley between horns, border of dots; rare
this is your coin my friend, still always it said that this is Prutah, and I always belive it is Lepta ???
 :Judean_mah_3: :Judean_lam_2: :Judean_waw_1: :Judean_shin_1:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:38:44 pm »
I see the other cornucopia now, halfway off the flan.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

a

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 03:43:43 am »
Thank you, Robert, Salem for your replies.

But I still unsure about the ear of barley between horns. Even on the coin that too warn, I'm expecting to see some long line that exceeds in the hight of the horns, but on this coin I see some big dot that looks like a promenade.
Can it be another coin?

Thanks,
Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity