Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Button made from a Roman Coin  (Read 453 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Button made from a Roman Coin
« on: February 01, 2023, 04:11:38 pm »
Ave!

The coin is Galerius as Caesar, by the way.

From what I can find, buttons were used by the Ancient Romans. However, their flowing garments (that were usually made out of a substantial amount of cloth) required hefty buttons made out of strong materials like wood, horn, and bronze. These poked large unsightly holes into garments, and soon fell out of favor among Ancient Roman clothiers, and fibulae soon became an alternative to the button.

What are the chances that this coin was holed and made into a button in antiquity? Or was it done only a few centuries ago?

Thoughts anyone? 

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Button made from a Roman Coin
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 04:49:14 pm »
The button design looks relatively modern - i.e. post-medieval.

Could have been a combination - someone found a coin holed in antiquity and that gave them the idea of making it into a button.  Who knows.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:58:21 pm »
 Hi,

Hmm, In any case, it is certainly interesting, even if the use is later than contemporary.
I've always been interested in things like when a coin was used for some other function.
Interesting find.
Congratulations, definitely unique.

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 07:47:02 am »
The other option is that it is an ancient modification and the way the pin was bent just looks like a modern era button fastener by coincidence.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity