Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bulla, Boys Amulet, Commodus Denarius inside!  (Read 1077 times)

Online Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Bulla, Boys Amulet, Commodus Denarius inside!
« on: October 24, 2022, 06:05:36 pm »
Ave!

Just sharing, but have any of you ever come across one like this one?

When arrived, I placed it in a bath of Vulpex to remove soften dirt. After removing the compressed flat bulla from the bath, I figured that it was still full of mud, so I used a dental probe just open it enough wash out the rest of the mud. See the 1st photo.

Opening it just a little more, a denarius popped out! The denarius is Commodus with HERCVLI ROMANO AVG; Hercules standing front, head left, crowning trophy, holding lion skin & club.

See the 2nd photo of the denarius after simple tooth brushing. The last photo reflects both bulla and the denarius after minimal cleaning.

Best to all,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Bulla, Boys Amulet, Commodus Denarius inside!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 07:24:56 pm »
That is very cool!

Vrigil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:54:15 pm »
Amazing

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 06:44:56 pm »
Neat.  I have read about them with tiny lead figures inside or with locks of hair.  The coin is neat.

Bullae were meant as protection for youth until they became adults so the Hercules would make sense - protected by his strength....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity