Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New ID guide for Early Anonymous Roman Denarii  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
New ID guide for Early Anonymous Roman Denarii
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »
I am working on a new ID guide for Early Anonymous Roman Denarii.

I remember there is an article in the Celator that covers distinguishing between two types.  Anyone know the month / year?

Here is the NumisWiki page so far:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Early%20Anonymous%20Denarii

I actually hope the end result looks quite a bit different than the current page.  What is there now is essentially my notes after day one.  So far, none of the references I have examined (Crawford, Sydenham, SRCV I, and RSC I) appear to be adequate in identifying the dates, mints or issues.  Perhaps these things are still unknown and perhaps they will remain that way. 

I am looking for comments, suggestions, corrections, references I should read, etc. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: New ID guide for Early Anonymous Roman Denarii
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »
Nice gide thanks :)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
I am working on a new ID guide for Early Anonymous Roman Denarii.

I remember there is an article in the Celator that covers distinguishing between two types.  Anyone know the month / year?

Here is the NumisWiki page so far:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Early%20Anonymous%20Denarii

I actually hope the end result looks quite a bit different than the current page.  What is there now is essentially my notes after day one.  So far, none of the references I have examined (Crawford, Sydenham, SRCV I, and RSC I) appear to be adequate in identifying the dates, mints or issues.  Perhaps these things are still unknown and perhaps they will remain that way. 

I am looking for comments, suggestions, corrections, references I should read, etc. 

Joe

I can certainly help with a major references: The Celator guide is actually online, and has been for some years; the related article on the Victoriatus will also shortly be online, accompanying the denarius: in fact this website was among those nominated for the annual award poll last year.

http://stevebrinkman.ancients.info/anonymous/

As for dates, mints and issues, that's still being worked between Steve Brinkman and Pierluigi Debernardi: much more is now known that is not yet published, as for example die links are beginning to give good information as to which anonymous types were struck in Sicily, South Italy, Rome or Etruria. In a way it complements what I've been working on with the bronzes, and Steve and Pierluigi are in close contact with me for  when there are anonymous issues that evidently contain both silver and bronze.

Joe's new page has a lot of new information, some of which is missing from the Brinkman page such as Sear numbers, Sydenham helmet style illustration, but given how much is on the Brinkman/Debernardi page, it may be best instead of a complete new web-page to instead create something that complements that Brinkman page e.g. that references Sear, RSC and other commonly used references and indicates where they may be found on the Brinkman page, or that somehow summarises the Brinkman page, with links back (which the authors would no doubt appreciate as their work is under-referenced so far!)

Andrew

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
I forgot about Steve Binkman's site. I might not have started the page if I had remembered it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity