Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found the tomb of "Titus Tatius"  (Read 1634 times)

DVX

Found the tomb of "Titus Tatius"
« on: August 28, 2006, 04:27:54 pm »
A great discovery in Montelibretti country (near Rome): in a monumental Sabine tomb of a king the archeologists found amazing reperts of the VI century b.C. An archaic chariot, the king's trones and a few bronze baciles are the best pieces of this last archeological campaign in the ancient Eretum.

Have a look to this beatiful site:

http://www.principisabini.it/index.php

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Found the tomb of "Titus Tatius"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:47:09 pm »
This is the most interesting excavation of ANYTHING that I have seen in years.  Not merely because it's a chariot and all but because of its completeness and the quality of work that went into the reconstruction and its presentation and the bibliography and all that quite properly accompany it.  This is, in my opinion, not merely spectacular but wholly admirable, not least the map specific to the subject.  Patricia Lawrence (who admits to finding the Orientalizing period the most formative and interesting--which is why I am also interested in subjects such as monetization).

Offline TLP

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:31:52 am »
If only I could understand Italian  :'(... But that Chariot is spectacular  :o

bruce61813

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:15:41 pm »
Great site! But that is not a chariot. It is a wagon ,or processional cart, and assuming the reconstruction is correct, it would have been pulled by two animals [at least ] withthe driver sitting in the center of the low seat. It may have carried the kings body or coffin on the platform, or been used also whe the king was alive, with a throne mounted on the high platform

Bruce

All coins are guaranteed for eternity