Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient ring  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Misak33

• Praetorian
    • http://www.imince.net
Ancient ring
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:01 am »
I would like to ask you if you could tell me something about this ring. It should be legionary ring for Legie VII Claudia, is it true?

Thank you, Michal.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Ancient ring
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »
Legio VII has to be among the most renowned Roman Legions and was one of the two legions used in Caesar's invasion of Britain. Later they were in Dacian Wars under Trajan and brought the head of Decebalus to the emperor.

They were still an important legion in the reign of Gallienus as a coin of his honors them, and are known to have been still active until at least the end of the 4th century.
So they were around for a very long time, increasing the chances of a number of their rings surviving until the present day.

I would have thought a legionary ring of theirs would have the legion’s emblem which was a bull.
A can’t make out what the image on the ring is but I would be surprised if it was a bull. Of course it could be one of their rings with another attribute personal to the owner, and it certainly looks like other legionary rings I have seen.

Just out of interest is the ring made of bronze or silver?

Best regards,
Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:49 pm »
Nice ring!  Not sure how it could be attributed to LEG VII without a legion number, but it's a beauty none the less.  If you click LEG VII a numiswiki page on LEG VII will open.  Unfortunately it doesn't highlight it if it is spelled a different way.  :'(

Offline Misak33

• Praetorian
    • http://www.imince.net
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:07 am »
Thank you for your comments. Ring is not silver but it is bronze.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity