Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3 Byzantines to look at:  (Read 971 times)

Offline LouisvilleKYShop

• Consul
3 Byzantines to look at:
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:14 am »
I don't usually deal in Byzantines. Hopefully these are obvious:

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: 3 Byzantines to look at:
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55:47 pm »
The bottom two should be gold.  The last one looks like Michael VII.  If they are bronze they are fake.

Offline LouisvilleKYShop

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »
Thanks:  A guy sent me scans and was hoping I could identify them for him.  I was out of my league with byzantines

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »
These coins are now for sale on Fleabay.  It is sad that a dealer comes here, learns the coins are certainly false, then goes out to sell them with just enough text to deny liability, but certainly not enlightening potential buyers that able commentators have condemned the coins!

Mac

Offline LouisvilleKYShop

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:51 pm »
What is the most strange is the man contacted me to see if they could be identified, I posted them here and clearly told him what the board said about them being not real, and as you say he did put them up for auction with vague text anyway.  I should have never responded to the request for identification help in this case.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:01:43 pm »
Certainly no fault of yours!  It is a shame that this person has as abused your honest attempt to aid him.

Mac

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »
Unfortunately, this is very common. At best they say something like "I can't guarantee authenticity" when they have been told their coins are doubtlessly fake. Maybe one in 5 sellers will end an auction when confronted with proof that their coins are fake.
Andreas Reich

Offline LouisvilleKYShop

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »
Well at least his attempt to find out information led to the coins being posted here.  So they can be moved to the fake reports.  He also asked me about greek tetradrachms and the weight was low on one plus it looked rusted.  The other good looking one had absolutely no test cuts at all but the weight was correct.  He has them both listed as well with bids and really that 13 gram rusted one is pretty off.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity