Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macrinus - Wolf and twins?  (Read 1660 times)

stickman

Macrinus - Wolf and twins?
« on: December 29, 2005, 06:34:51 pm »
Hi all!
I believe this may be a Macrinus with the wolf and twins reverse.
I can read IMP M OPEL SEV on the obverse and COLFLPACDEV (LT) on the reverse.
I was hoping that someone could help me out a little, and if it is confirmed maybe a reference number.
Thanks!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Macrinus - Wolf and twins?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 06:49:22 pm »
It is Macrinus indeed, but I can't find an online reference for you! I don't have Yurukova!

Best regards

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:01:35 pm »
I think it is from Deultum, Moushmov 3541 (according to http://www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/deultum.html).
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

stickman

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 07:18:49 pm »
I agree with Deultum but it looks different from the plate example.
Also I see ALEX in the obverse legend....Am I looking at the right example?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 07:26:48 pm »
Because the coins of Macrinus and Severus Alexander have the same reverse depiction they have the same Moushmov number.

Best regards

stickman

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:29:03 pm »
Ahhhh, I see.....Thank you Jochen!
Still the reverse legend is slightly different, does that make a whole lot of difference in the ID?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:33:58 pm »
I have learned here on the Forum that Moushmov is a bad source for attribution. I use it only if I need information I can't get from the coin directly, f.e. confirmation of the emperor or the depiction of the reverse.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 12:37:34 am »
Jurukova (1973) p. 68, no. 55, citing specimens in Sofia and Paris (though I don't have the plates for Macrinus in my photocopy).  That being so, Varbanov II surely lists it, but he doesn't illustrate it.  Pat L.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 10:19:07 am »
     Jurukova, unfortunately, does not illustrate the coin.
     According to her legend code, the obv. legend should begin IMP C M OPEL, but this is probably just a misprint, the C should be omitted as Stickman's coin showsCohen 168 describes the same Paris spec. of the coin as Jurukova 55, but Cohen omits the C in obv. legend.
     It is not correct that Mouchmov gives the same number to Wolf and Twins coins of Macrinus and Sev. Alex. because the rev. type is the same.  The problem lies elsewhere, namely in Mouchmov's confusing practice of giving plate references whenever the rev. type is the same, even if the emperor and mint of the illustrated coin are different!
    In this case, Mouchmov pl. XXII.2 illustrates his no. 3587 of Sev. Alex. at Deultum.  However, he gives the same plate reference for his no. 3541 of Macrinus, because the Wolf and Twins rev. type is similar!
    When Dave Surber was producing his English translation of Mouchmov, I suggested that these superfluous plate references should be eliminated, and only those references left where the illustration is exactly the coin described.  Unfortunately my advice was not followed!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity