Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Flaminius Chilo Denarius?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline jimbomar

• Praetorian
A Flaminius Chilo Denarius?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:49:51 am »
Hi All

I just won an auction for this denarius sold as L Flaminius Chilo Denarius 43bc Cr.485/2 -which is quite worn and has no legend but which I've not seen before. I was looking at the sellers photo, and the bust of venus looks to have wings? Which would I assume would actually make it a bust of Nike.

Given there is a very similar denarius  minted in 46bc T Carisius Cr.464/5, with a Nike bust and Biga reverse, is it possible the coin was misidentified and  is actually the more common Carisius and not the Chilo, or am I missing something?

Regards

James

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: A Flaminius Chilo Denarius?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:05:34 am »
Hi All

I just won an auction for this denarius sold as L Flaminius Chilo Denarius 43bc Cr.485/2 -which is quite worn and has no legend but which I've not seen before. I was looking at the sellers photo, and the bust of venus looks to have wings? Which would I assume would actually make it a bust of Nike.

Given there is a very similar denarius  minted in 46bc T Carisius Cr.464/5, with a Nike bust and Biga reverse, is it possible the coin was misidentified and  is actually the more common Carisius and not the Chilo, or am I missing something?

James

James

That's a very good identification catch by you. Yes, it can't be the Chilo, type below; note also the legend before the face is missing on your coin, as well as having a wing behind:

Your new coin is probably the Carisia, pic below post.

I must compliment you on your excellent identification skills, this ID would have confused most collectors, given that there is no legend on the coin. You should keep the coin as a reminder of the need to check coins carefully!

Andrew

Offline jimbomar

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:45 pm »
Andrew

Thanks for the confirmation and the kind words (your excellent site is a real help).

I suppose now I have to consider whether to let the seller know and call it off (although being an Australian my German is non-existant!) or simply take the coin for what it is. ???

I have been picking up some inexpensive imperatorial coins just because of the fantastic connection to history and the personalities of the period (so condition really hasn't been an issue -which is good because thee is no way my budget would cover better examples).

I suspect I paid over the odds for this type (as opposed to a real Chilo - as this seems rarer) but its still an interesting coin in its own right.

Regards

James

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:30 pm »
James

generally for low grade coins at auction, you are purchasing the coin illustrated, regardless of what it's described as. As you worked out yourself what the coin is, and could have done so before the auction ended, it's difficult to say that the incorrect description was misleading since the photo, general coin type and era were all correct, especially in the context of the wear on the coin which made it difficult for any except an expert seller to identify it, and on ebay you are not paying for expert sellers. So, I think the coin is yours, you've committed to purchase. Consider buying at retail next time, as is consistently recommended here, if you want return or change-of-mind privileges.

ps glad you like my website!

Andrew

All coins are guaranteed for eternity