Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Artuqids of Halab, Fakhr al-Din Il-Ghazi I, AR Dirhem Aswad, (Halab), ND  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Dear Friends,

This is a new die variation of an Artuqids of Halab type by Fakhr al-Din Il-Ghazi I. There are 2 of the other die variation recorded and this is the first one to be recorded for this die variation. I am still trying to figure it out.

This coin is citing al-Mustaršid bi-Alláh (المسترشد بالله), (abú Mansúr al-Fadl b. al-Mustazhir 1118-1135 / 512-529 AH) an Abbasid Caliph. This coin is also citing as-sultán al-mu`adhdham which is a Seljuq of Rum sultan titulature. The laqab on this coin is Majm ad-dín (مجم الدين‎).

Coin is tentatively attributed as:
Artuqids of Halab, Majm ad-dín, AR Dirhem Aswad, (Halab), ND
1.92 g, 15 mm
Citing al-Mustaršid bi-Alláh as Caliph المسترشد بالله
Citing as-sultán al-mu`adhdham as overlord
Laqab Majm ad-dín مجم الدين
A-A1820

The attribution might change and the coin might have been issued by Majm ad-din ibn al-Masgharani

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Burak

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Artuqids of Halab Majm ad-dín مجم الدين
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:24:51 pm »
Dear Burak ,

Are you trying to say نجم الدين   Najm Al Din               Najm means   Star    so   Star of Religion  = Najm Al Din 

There is no Majm Al Din   in Arabic مجم الدين   it has no meaning at all.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:54:10 pm »
Yes that would be the most plausible explanation and if true it would close the case because that laqab corresponds to
Il-Ghazi I (Najm al-Din, b. Artuq), 511-516AH but according to this link there was someone called like that and Dr. Vladimir Suchy read the coin as Majm. ad-Din.

https://books.google.sk/books?id=Y3l0DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT197&lpg=PT197&dq=Majm+al-Din&source=bl&ots=2CdxUQdRVa&sig=ACfU3U3VGeWvALl79I9ftl1g7dBLJxFHQg&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_9ZbStaToAhXtsaQKHbDkCQYQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=Majm%20al-Din&f=false

please also follow discussion here
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=246405&cat=all&ppuser=268

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:55:09 pm »
Similar examples are found here
https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=18356

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:54:42 pm »
So thanks to Stephen Album the coin is read correctly now and the ID is

Artuqids of Halab, Fakhr al-Din Il-Ghazi I, AR Dirhem Aswad, (Halab), ND
1.92 g, 15 mm
Citing al-Mustaršid bi-Alláh as Caliph المسترشد بالله
Citing as-sultán al-mu`adhdham as overlord
Laqab "Fakhm al-Din" ( فخم الدين ) spelled incorrectly by engraver
A-A1820

Appearantly the engraver made a spelling error and confused Fakhr al-Din with Najm al-Din and engraved "Fakhm al-Din" ( فخم الدين ). But there are some slight variations on Zeno #246405 to Zeno #243113 and Zeno #186424. For example the circles next to the ornaments that form the triangle are missing and on the other side the lines dividing the kalima are not there either. This is also A-A1820 but a subtype within the type.

Best wishes
Burak

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 08:13:25 am »
Would please post the photo of the coin goes with Mr. Stephen.
With all due respect , I would not give much credit to non-Native Arabic  readers and speakers - again with all due respect to their work-  , do not know the difference between the letters :

M م
 N ن
 F ف

and how they get too many form in word.

Good luck to you.

Additional question : Can you please circle on your coin where you think    فخم الدين 

is written or engraved .

Thank you

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:06:41 am »
Please contribute to the discussion with specifics instead of scientific falsificationism

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
Thank you for the reply , but     What scientific falsificationism ?

I am simply asking you to support what you claim , because you can not prove something using your post here :

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=246405&cat=all&ppuser=268

As a support for your proof  , so I asked for photo with Mr Stephen coin.

It is a discussion site , and I am very specific in my question and obeying the rules of discussion in this website.

If you claim something that does not make it right .

Thank you.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
I have absolutely no idea what you mean with "photo with Mr Stephen coin"
The comments by Stephen Album (also by Vladimir and Radwan) are within the link that you have copy pasted.

Zeno #186424 and Zeno #243113 are 2 very similar examples to this coin (Zeno #246405).
Another coin by Fakhr al-Din Il-Ghazi I (Najm ad-Din Ilghazi ibn Artuq) is #243034.

If you ask 10 people about this coin you get 10 different answers.
This is why, instead of saying everyone is wrong or none native readers are wrong (falsificationism) about this coin, I am asking you for your reading/opinion (contributing with specifics)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity