Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric)  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Trajan07

• Legionary
Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric)
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:28:10 am »
I need your help for my research regarding poor fabric Roman coinage.

Studying, listing, and even naming this coinage keeps on being an opportunity to formulate hypotheses and sharing.

I wish to extend the work initiated by Philip V. HILL in his article "Barbarous Radiates" Imitations of Third-Century Roman Coins, published in Numismatic Notes and Monographs no.112, 1949.

My main objective is to illustrate the classification of this coinage by types of reverse as he suggested. I want to create an open access iconographic corpus (PDF files) for future research and hypotheses.

I also have two secondary goals:

As you can guess, I need everybody's help in this undertaking. If you happen to have poor fabric in your collections, you may send me pictures of both obverse and reverse along with the weight and diameter (if known) at the following address: [b]imitations.radiees@gmail.com[/b]

All submissions will be of great help, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to send me your "treasures"!

"Paths are made by walking" (Antonio MACHADO) - I may need quite a few pairs of shoes :)

Offline Trajan07

• Legionary
Re: Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:29:57 am »
Quote from: Trajan07 on November 13, 2020, 06:28:10 am
I need your help for my research regarding poor fabric Roman coinage.

Studying, listing, and even naming this coinage keeps on being an opportunity to formulate hypotheses and sharing.

I wish to extend the work initiated by Philip V. HILL in his article "Barbarous Radiates" Imitations of Third-Century Roman Coins, published in Numismatic Notes and Monographs no.112, 1949.

My main objective is to illustrate the classification of this coinage by types of reverse as he suggested. I want to create an open access iconographic corpus (PDF files) for future research and hypotheses.

I also have two secondary goals:

As you can guess, I need everybody's help in this undertaking. If you happen to have poor fabric in your collections, you may send me pictures of both obverse and reverse along with the weight and diameter (if known) at the following address: [b]imitations.radiees@gmail.com[/b]

All submissions will be of great help, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to send me your "treasures"!

"Paths are made by walking" (Antonio MACHADO) - I may need quite a few pairs of shoes :)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:03:17 pm »
I would be happy to help but I would like to know what you mean by "poor fabric"?

Do you mean any coin that we believe is a barbarous radiate or only ones with certain characteristics?  And if so what?

Under a certain diameter?  Non-circular?  Unofficial design?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Trajan07

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 11:47:55 am »
Good evening to both of you.

Thank you Alex for the contribution, I'll be sure to come back to you if needed but the description of your coins seems very complete  ;) +++

otlichnik, they are coins of necessity, the English call them "poor fabric", Philip V. HILL speaks of "Barbarous Radiates", it is the same thing. Here is the link to my own collection (https://www.colleconline.com/fr/collection-items/2915/monnaie-antique-av-jc-ap-romaine-imitations-radiees) so you can see what we are talking about.I hope I have answered your questions and see your coins join the corpus. :)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »
I have never heard the term "coins of poor fabric" before.  In English they are mostly just referred to as barbarous radiates even though we all know the name is wrong - they are not made by "barbarians" and it is an unfair and biased judgement to call the style "barbarous" as that implies a judgement that they are poor quality and amateur when many scholars believe that the style was an intentional one reflected local Gault-Roman art traditions during a time of increased independence.

As you are probably aware some scholars divide the unofficial or "barbarous" coinage into several groups depending on how far removed they are from the original - both in terms of module (size and weight) and in style.  That is why I asked about your definition of "coins of poor fabric" because some (indeed many) "barbarous radiates" are actually of fairly good fabric - they are of similar diameter and weight to official Gallic mint issues.  Others of course are very small, light and poor quality.

Can I assume that you are interested in any, as long as the are "barbarous"/unofficial and not official??

Anyway, are familiar with and have access too:

THE COINAGE OF THE GALLIC EMPIRE, Jerome Mairat, Wolfson College.

John A. Davies.  Barbarous radiates: a study of the irregular Roman coinage of the 270s and 280s AD from - southern England.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Trajan07

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 04:19:01 pm »
Good evening SC and thank you for the clarifications ;)

Indeed, I'm looking for any barbarous/unofficial and not official coins.

Thank you for reminding me of Davies's reference, I found his thesis on the EThOS site, it is a considerable work on the subject.

I have a few months of reading ahead of me  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity