Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mystery Horse! 23mm 7.19gm Philip imitation?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Dirtfisher

• Praetorian
Mystery Horse! 23mm 7.19gm Philip imitation?
« on: July 23, 2005, 02:31:08 am »
Greetings!

I am new to Celtic coins and I am hoping to learn more about this coin I just purchased. I am not even sure it is authentic. It does not look modern or show any signs of being fake. I found several references to Philip imitative Celtic tetradrachms, but I have not seen the denomination of a drachm near to the weight of this coin, nor have I seen coins with a horse of this particular style. Any help on figuring this one out would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Dirtfisher

Offline Dirtfisher

• Praetorian
Re: Mystery Horse! 23mm 7.19gm Philip imitation?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 02:31:58 am »

Nico Creces

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 04:13:02 am »
Genuine.
Tetradrachm of the Danubian Celts.
Upper Danube Valley, imitating types of Philip II, AR "tetradrachm” , Degraded laureate head of Philip II right. / Very crude rider on horse prancing left.
I think I'm quite close ;)
Grtz,
Nico

Offline Dirtfisher

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:30:39 pm »
Thank you, that is very reassuring to hear!
There seems to be such variation in the style and weight of these types of coins, how do you determine a date range for this issue? Anyone want to venture a guess on this example?

Nico Creces

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 05:21:26 pm »
It should be 2th century BC.
 ;)
Nico

All coins are guaranteed for eternity