Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: celtic ID please!  (Read 2425 times)

ande3000

celtic ID please!
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:25:00 pm »
hello,

is possibly to identify this coin?in 20mm diameter...

ande3000

Re:celtic ID please!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:25:35 pm »
observe

ande3000

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:39:04 pm »
is possible from Celtic of North Italy?
here is an exemple..

yafet_rasnal

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 07:52:11 am »
Actually, at 20mm, this is most likely a late, reduced stater.  There are hundreds of similar types issued by the tribes living from Britain to Galatia. A very good overview is available in “Coinage in the Celtic World” by Daphne Nash (Seaby Books, 1987).  

I believe this to be a stater of the East Celts, one of the “ball cheek” types listed in Lanz 464-500, BMC I S133 (Type J1 xxxvi c, found between the Sava and Drava rivers in Croatia). These issues are characterized by the ball on the cheek of Zeus, an annulet above the horse and the pellet under the tail of the horse. 20mm is a little small for these, but those illustrated in the Lanz volume vary from a very crude 6 grams to a fairly refined style at 11 grams.  There are a number of very similar types from this area and I can’t say that I see an example that matches the obverse style of your coin in every detail.

This would be an example:  http://tinyurl.com/4pkxg

Lanz   M. Kostial, Kelten in Osten, gold und Silber der Kelten in Mittel and Osteuropa, Sammlung Lanz. Muchen, 1997.

BMC   John Kent and Melinda Mays, Catalogue of the Celtic Coins in the British Museum, Volume 1: Silver Coins of the East Celts and Balkan Peoples, British Museum Press, 1987.
Eugene

All coins are guaranteed for eternity