Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic Ring Money  (Read 11024 times)

Travesty34

Celtic Ring Money
« on: June 09, 2004, 10:04:52 pm »
I just bought a lot of 100 celtic ring money. I was wondering if anyone had any good resources or information on these type of items. Thanks.

yafet_rasnal

Re:Celtic Ring Money
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 05:18:44 pm »
These ring money are found also in Rome zone... and in a quite big amounts.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re:Celtic Ring Money
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 08:42:45 pm »
These rings of bronze have stayed found in all the zones of the basin of the Mediterraneo.

They have stayed used for "obolo" from all the people ancient in the III and II B.C century.

To my seem is improper define them "celtic"

ser

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Celtic Ring Money
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:01:01 pm »
Some 20 years ago I bought part of a collection of rings found near Rhenen in Holland. It is a place where habitation in the centuries just before the Romans was present. From the beginning of our era onwards there was a very limited output of Celtic coins, mostly in bronze, but also in silver and gold (in German: 'Regenbogenschuesselchen' =rainbowcups). So the provenance of the rings could be OK. In total some 300 had been found.
The large ones, up tp 45 mms, are cast and filed; the smaller ones cut out of a plate. Apparently they fixed a fine chain in the middle of a plate and incised circles from both sides, so that a ring would come free. The next ring would be one shackle smaller, etc. The smallest one I've got is only 13 mms.
Information and literature on the subject of these plain rings seems to lack. On the (Gallic) rings with knobs and notches, as well as spoked wheels, there is plenty.
Good luck with your investigation.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity