Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: LBs Antiquity of the Day. Roman stylus.  (Read 820 times)

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
LBs Antiquity of the Day. Roman stylus.
« on: May 30, 2007, 02:12:30 am »
My first "proper" Roman antiquity, a Roman stylus, or pen. :) It is iron, which is unusual, most are bronze, and it has little bands of inlaid silver right down the length of the body, which is not too hard to do but takes an obscene amount of time, I've done it myself. Quite a high level of craftsmanship, probably intended for a wealthier Roman. I'm assuming a date of 1st to 3rd century A.D, it is very similar to several I have seen dated to the 1st century by other finds in the vicinity, the dealer also had that date range.
I would like to think a Roman used this for more than writing out shopping lists. ;)
                                                            LordBest. 8)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: LBs Antiquity of the Day. Roman stylus.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:29:43 pm »
Hi LordBest 
Interesting yours "stylus" in iron "ageminato". 
I wanted to add that this "stylus"  was used for writing on the wax tablets..... and the terminal part to cancel the errors...   ;) :laugh:
These are mine in bronze. 
Best regards. 
ser

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: LBs Antiquity of the Day. Roman stylus.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:41:05 pm »
It would be nice to know what has been scribed with it!  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity