Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "My first ancient" ot Day  (Read 2233 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
"My first ancient" ot Day
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:23:52 am »
I have been updating the images of my collection and have come across my first ever ancient coin purchase. Not a scarce coin but it was the purchase of this coin that dragged me away from the world of English Hammered coins into the world of ancient coins. It was a very ego-centric purchase with Mars being the root of Martin and thus a fascination with Mars reverse types that led me (eventually) to collecting the Lugdunum mint.

Anyway, a decent example fot this type with a good size flan, good strike on both sides and not too much wear and a wonderful slate grey cabinet toning. All that is irrelevant as this coin is special, to me at least.

Severus Alexander denarius
Obv:IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped bust right
Rev:MARS VLTOR, Mars advancing right, holding a spear and shield
Minted in Rome.
Ref:– RIC 246. RSC 161a.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
Re: "My first ancient" ot Day
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:05:39 am »
Martin,

I think your coin is quite beautiful, and since it "dragged [you] . . . into the world of ancient coins," it is pretty special.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:01 am »
My first ancient coin is a very ugly and worthless Constantine slug which I bought some 25 years ago when I was a child. I still keep it, but I will not show that "thing" because I like it and I don't want comments. Yours is different - it deserves comments: Beautiful coin indeed;  especially I like the colour because it is not as overcleaned as a lot of ancient silver coins.

Best - Frank

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:36 am »
A pretty good looking coin!  Wish my first coin was as good.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »
Both the dies (obv. and rev.!) and the condition of this coin make it a real gem! We can imagine Mars dragging you behind him!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:50 am »
Hi Martin,

For a newbie (as you were at this time) your eye has been very acurate. Not many people can show such a nice coin as first purchase. Congratulations

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity